I’ve got unruly hair… always have. My hair is coarse, long and thick. I grew up in rural OH and had very hard water to contend with. Hard water, aka water containing large amounts of minerals such as calcium, magnesium, bicarbonates and sulfates, is not kind to girls with hair like mine… or any hair type for that matter. How do you know hard water is affecting your locks? I know the symptoms all too well. Let me share:
- Hair never “feels” clean. You can’t fully rinse out the shampoo or conditioner. There is always a residue sticking around.
- Your hair is dry (straw-like even), and breaks at the gentlest touch no matter how many deep conditioning treatments you use.
- Tangles upon tangles, regardless of the amount of conditioner applied.
- Hair color – don’t bother. It will fade before you get home from the salon.
- And frizz…don’t forget the frizz.
Why does hard water have this effect? Basically it is due to the high mineral content present. The minerals cause the hair cuticles to “stand up” which gives the hair that rough feel. For the same reason, it becomes nearly impossible to rinse hair thoroughly. Plus, since shampoo cannot break down properly in hard water, it is difficult to wash out styling products, resulting in product build-up. In addition to causing bad hair days, dissolved calcium and magnesium in your hard water causes scale. Scale builds up on the insides of pipes, water heaters, tea pots and coffee makers. Overtime scale build up can completely clog pipes and ruin appliances.
Fortunately for me and others like me, there is a solution! We just need to filter the water before we use it. The best way to accomplish this is to invest in a water softening system for your house. These systems replace excessive calcium and magnesium, as well as other mineral content in your water, with sodium ions, which decrease the detrimental effects of hard water. There are other benefits to installing a home water softening system as stated on Livestrong.com such as:
- Easier cleaning. Softened water helps rinse off soap residue for cleaner dishes and clothes, as well as your general household cleaning.
- Longer lifespan for appliances. Hard water minerals can build up over time in your appliances causing decreased efficiency and usability. According to North Dakota State University, water-softening systems extend the life of washing machines, dishwashers, water heaters and other appliances that use water.
- Faster hot water. Softened water heats quicker. Estimates find increased efficiency in water heaters up to 30% when using soft water!
- Cleaner plumbing system. The mineral and metal build up caused by hard water can lead to clogs and corrosion in your pipes and your faucet fixtures. Softened water can eliminate this issue, saving you money on costly repairs and replacements.
There are a variety of water softeners available. Visit FiltersFast.com for all of your water filtration needs and say goodbye to “bad” hair for good!