With volcanic eruptions and earthquakes seeming to occur every week (a 6.2-magnitude earthquake just hit the Samoa Islands within the hour), it’s no wonder that the web is abuzz with searches like “How to Survive the Apocalypse.” Opinions vary on exactly when and why this apocalypse will occur. Still, there are survivalists and other prepared people out there who want to know how to survive the end of the world as we know it.
To do so, you will need access to two essentials: clean air and clean water. Since almost every product we sell involves air or water filtration, we thought we’d compile a list of a few air or water filters that just might help you survive the apocalypse.
Six best Filters Fast products to survive the apocalypse:
- Katadyn Expedition Water Filter System – This system carries a high price, but in the end times it will be worth every penny. The Katadyn Expedition will filter out bacteria, cysts, algae, protozoa, sediment, dirt, spores, and some virus-carrying particles. With a 26,000 gallon capacity, you can go quite a while between filter changes. There is a reason Katadyn filters are used by militaries, relief organizations, survivalists and adventurers the world over.
- 3M N95 Respirator Mask – 10 Pack – Though little is known of the benefits of wearing masks or respirators to control the spread of pandemic flu and sickness (such as H1n1 virus, aka Swine flu), the Center for Disease Control notes that 3M respirators are designed to protect against very small particles, which could contain viruses. Should the apocalypse be accompanied by plague and pestilence, you’ll want to have a few of these respirator masks around.
- Katadyn Micropur MP1 Emergency Water Tabs – If you find yourself away from your “home base” during the end times, you will want to keep these Katadyn water purification tabs on hand. A single emergency water tablet will remove bacteria, cysts and some viruses from a quart of water.
- Katadyn Pocket Microfilter – As the name might imply, the Katadyn Pocket Microfilter is a more lightweight, portable survival water filter than the aformentioned Katadyn Expedition. It has a lower capacity than the Expedition and doesn’t remove quite as many contaminants as its big brother, but it will remove most waterborne bacteria, protozoa and cysts from a water source. Do not leave your home without the Katadyn Pocket Microfilter.
- Whirlpool Whispure Air Purifier – This one’s a bit of a luxury, but if the apocalypse was a result of or results in airborne disease, it could prove very beneficial. Most are astounded to know that a home’s indoor air quality is usually far worse than the outdoor air quality, since the air often gets trapped inside with little ventilation. So while this Whirlpool air purifier is most adept at removing dust, dander, pollen, mold spores, smoke, fabric fibers, allergens, and other contaminants from your air, it can also remove particles as small as 0.3 microns. Particles that might be carrying viruses. This HEPA air purifier is only 22 lbs., so you can take it with you should you need to relocate. It’s also one of the quitest air purifiers on the market, should you be concerned with lawless, post-apocalyptic people finding your location.
- Klean Kanteen 40 oz Stainless Steel Water Bottle – All of that clean, filtered water will be for naught if you can’t take it with you. A Klean Kanteen water bottle allows you to do just that. And because the bottle is constructed of stainless steel with no liner, you don’t have to worry about BPA (Bisphenol A) leaching into your water, as you would with many plastic bottles.
Don’t wait until it’s too late, folks. If you call us the day after the apocalypse, we probably won’t be working. Play it safe and stock up on these filters now, so you’ll know how to survive the apocalypse when and if that day comes. And if that day doesn’t come in your lifetime, be thankful and take comfort in knowing that your home is stocked with some great survival water filters for camping or emergency use.