Thread: from SEDIMENT to BROWN water to NO water

erikj is offline Junior Member

Default from SEDIMENT to BROWN water to NO water

Greetings,

I am currently running into problems with my well regarding sediment, dirty filters, dark brown water, and now - no water.

For the past few days, I have experienced increasing amounts of sediment, and have been changing the filter (10") every few days, hoping it would eventually clear out.

Today, the water stopped totally. I took a peek down the well casing, and see there is water not too far down (I dunno - 20 feet or so), leading me to believe the well has not run dry. Nor have we experienced any pressure issues.

I tried to run the water directly from the pressure tank through a hose to the outdoors - no luck. After running a few seconds - nothing. Interestingly enough, the pressure gauge on the tank is still the same as ever - approx 45 psi.

Not sure if it's worth noting, but just before the water stopped running at all, it turned dark brownish - something I have not seen to this point.

Any wisdom/suggestions/recollections are greatly appreciated. It's Saturday night (of course), and I am looking at a couple days in a house with a wife and two daughters with no running water.

Thanks in advance!

erik

Roxanne is offline Senior Member

Default Sediment Issue

Quote Originally Posted by erikj
    Greetings,

I am currently running into problems with my well regarding sediment, dirty filters, dark brown water, and now - no water.

For the past few days, I have experienced increasing amounts of sediment, and have been changing the filter (10") every few days, hoping it would eventually clear out.

Today, the water stopped totally. I took a peek down the well casing, and see there is water not too far down (I dunno - 20 feet or so), leading me to believe the well has not run dry. Nor have we experienced any pressure issues.

I tried to run the water directly from the pressure tank through a hose to the outdoors - no luck. After running a few seconds - nothing. Interestingly enough, the pressure gauge on the tank is still the same as ever - approx 45 psi.

Not sure if it's worth noting, but just before the water stopped running at all, it turned dark brownish - something I have not seen to this point.

Any wisdom/suggestions/recollections are greatly appreciated. It's Saturday night (of course), and I am looking at a couple days in a house with a wife and two daughters with no running water.

Thanks in advance!

erik
    Erik,

Sorry we are just getting back to you about this. If you're still having the problem we'd be happy to try and help. First of all, what size Micron is the 10" filter you are currently using? Also, is it carbon or just a regular sediment filter?

The reason I ask this is because if you are using this filter in a whole house capacity and the micron rating is too low (say for instance .5 or 1 micron) then there in lies your issue. Depending on how heavy the sediment in your water is even a 10 or 20 Micron filter may be too small.
    Roxanne Crawford
    FiltersFast
    www.filtersfast.com
    866-438-3458