Thread: Well water with Hardness at 76 mg/L or 4.44gpg

DavidL is offline Junior Member

Default Well water with Hardness at 76 mg/L or 4.44gpg

Hello everyone,

I had a new 2hp well installed with 4 inch galvanised casing around 2 years ago just before I started to build my house. I'm told the well driller went down around 85ft. We move in around 6 months ago and I finally got around to having the water tested (basis tests cleared for my certificate of occupancy by the county building inspector). These were my results:

PH @ 7.6
    Hardness @ 76 mg/L
    Iron @ 0
    Copper @ 0
    Chlorine @ 0

I'm also getting the rotten egg smell. I would like to know the best way of softening my water and getting rid of that rotten egg smell.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to any advice.

David

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

You need a sulfur system. I would get your water tested o see the strength of the sulfur. There a few systems than can handle it effectively depending on how much you have.
    Andy Christensen, CWS-II

DavidL is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andy CWS
    You need a sulfur system. I would get your water tested o see the strength of the sulfur. There a few systems than can handle it effectively depending on how much you have.
    Andy Christensen, CWS-II
    Thanks for the reply. Where can I find a table of ranges which indicate the severity of the gas?

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DavidL
    Thanks for the reply. Where can I find a table of ranges which indicate the severity of the gas?
    I don't know of any 'charts' that rate levels of severity. The best method of detection and level of tolerance is your nose. There are test kits that determine how many part per million, for example. The higher the count, the easier it is to detect the odor. Some people can develope a desensitivity to it and never notice it till smeone says somethig or they come from being away from it and suddenly notice it again.

Sulfur can come and go with various circumstances including weather, season and even time of day and amount of water use. It can be corrosive to certain metals such as copper (pipes turn color at first and then may develop pin holes). But most of all the first reaction comes from those that have to experience it and are bothered by the odor.

You should have analysis of your water.I think analysis can give you all sort of answers.