Thread: purchasing advice for "filtered water" for a Warm Mist Humidifier

RonTrull is offline Junior Member

Default purchasing advice for "filtered water" for a Warm Mist Humidifier

I just ordered a Crane Warm Mist Humidifier from Amazon. It recommended filtered or distilled water for best results. One customer review stated that I need a filter that removes chlorine. I read somewhere that I do not want to use softened water. I have a Brita water pitcher filter, and read something that implies some water softening from this device. I have allergies. I am trying to maintain a clean mist output and avoid excess "mineral build up/gunk" in the reservoir. Any help is appreciated.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

The "types of water" you have mentioned are all quite different and may greatly affect performance of your humidifier. "Filtered" water is an ambiguous terms that could mean your ran river water through a pair of wool socks and call it filtered. Distilled is a process by which water is boiled, evaporated and then condensed and collected/stored for later use. The is high purity but even distilled water can carry volatile chemicals such as chlorine. Distilling water can be expensive, slow and energy consuming. Distillers need to be cleaned periodically of all the crusty stuff it is removing from the water.

Carbon will remove chlorine but not dissolved solids, which cause all the build up. Your Brita is primarily a carbon element which does improve taste and odor but not the best for humidifiers.

RO water is overall the best solution. The TDS is very low, cost is manageable and results are excellent. If you don't have an RO, then getting one for drinking purposes kills two birds.

I am not a health professional so I can't say any water treatment would end or even curtail your allergies; that is something for your doctor to determine.

Andy Christesnen