Thread: KDF 55 in Counter Top

ugh
    ugh is offline Junior Member

Default KDF 55 in Counter Top

Hey guys,

I just purchased a digi pure 9000s counter top filter off eBay.

Unfortunately the water tastes like crap through the system, it's better to just drink from the tap.

The taste I am getting is a metallic kind of taste (which lingers for quite some time), this system came with a KDF 55 filter and after a quick look around it seems like this is only for use on water with heavy metal issues? I could be very wrong.

Should I just get a different type of filter? what recommendations for water that is pretty much fine just wanting some filtration?

Btw: After lots of google'ing and looking at packaging/manuals I still can't find out who actually manufactures these, makes me a bit worried.

Thanks!

Billsid is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ugh View Post
    Hey guys,

I just purchased a digi pure 9000s counter top filter off eBay.

Unfortunately the water tastes like crap through the system, it's better to just drink from the tap.

The taste I am getting is a metallic kind of taste (which lingers for quite some time), this system came with a KDF 55 filter and after a quick look around it seems like this is only for use on water with heavy metal issues? I could be very wrong.

Should I just get a different type of filter? what recommendations for water that is pretty much fine just wanting some filtration?

Btw: After lots of google'ing and looking at packaging/manuals I still can't find out who actually manufactures these, makes me a bit worried.

Thanks!
    The metallic taste probably comes from the bituminous carbon used with the KDF 55 Cartridge (iron contamination of the source carbon) ...this is a pretty common flaw of low-cost bituminous carbon blocks.

KDF material has nothing to do with the taste , IMO .

You better equip your Digipure with a Matrikx PB1 or Omnipure OMB934 0,5 mic with lead reduction or Pentek CBR2-10 cartridge.These cartridges are all top quality ...

Digipure are made in Taiwan , by Savant Electronics Inc

ugh
    ugh is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Billsid View Post
    The metallic taste probably comes from the bituminous carbon used with the KDF 55 Cartridge (iron contamination of the source carbon) ...this is a pretty common flaw of low-cost bituminous carbon blocks.

KDF material has nothing to do with the taste , IMO .

You better equip your Digipure with a Matrikx PB1 or Omnipure OMB934 0,5 mic with lead reduction or Pentek CBR2-10 cartridge.These cartridges are all top quality ...

Digipure are made in Taiwan , by Savant Electronics Inc
    Thanks for the responseBillsid,

When you say contamination... should I be ceasing all drinking from this cartridge right away?

After my OP I found that if I turned the tap right down so a weak little flow comes out of the filter it tastes fairly good, but this is a huge pain in the ass (especially when I'm dying of thirst lol)

I'll order one of your suggested filters right away, do I need to check size specifications or will those pop straight in?

Many thanks!

Billsid is offline Junior Member

Hi,

Just buy the 9,75'' x 2,5'' versions of a/m cartridges and they will fit into Digipure.

My personal favorite is this one :
    http://www.filtersfast.com/KX-Matrik...975-Filter.asp

You can set the digital meter of the Digipure 9000 at 2.500 GPD

Alex is offline Senior Member

I would also recommend using the 06-250-125-975 which will remove chlorine and lead among other contaminants that carbon naturally removes.