Thread: Water filter under fridge won't come out - stuck!

dougsaunders is offline Junior Member

Default Water filter under fridge won't come out - stuck!

When changing the water filter under the fridge the plastic 'yolk' type handle snapped off and now the old filter is jammed in there and there's nothing to grip onto to turn it. It's always been tight but this time it was stuck solid. I tried pouring soapy water down the retaining housing while covering the weep hole underneath and turning the canister with some long nose pliers but those two o-ring seals at the unreachable end won't budge. There's not much to grip onto and I'm thinking of drilling a couple of holes in the filter end to get a better purchase on it but not knowing the inner design of the filter and wall thickness I don't know if this would be a bad idea. Is there an easy fix-in-place solution or do I have to replace the whole cartidge assembly? Thanks.

nbrtwo is offline Junior Member

Default How did you solve the stuck filter problem? I need your help please!!

Quote Originally Posted by dougsaunders
    When changing the water filter under the fridge the plastic 'yolk' type handle snapped off and now the old filter is jammed in there and there's nothing to grip onto to turn it. It's always been tight but this time it was stuck solid. I tried pouring soapy water down the retaining housing while covering the weep hole underneath and turning the canister with some long nose pliers but those two o-ring seals at the unreachable end won't budge. There's not much to grip onto and I'm thinking of drilling a couple of holes in the filter end to get a better purchase on it but not knowing the inner design of the filter and wall thickness I don't know if this would be a bad idea. Is there an easy fix-in-place solution or do I have to replace the whole cartidge assembly? Thanks.
    I have the same problem as you. How did you fix your problem?

Thanks for your help,

Nick