Thread: The ultimate filter?

dugawug is offline Junior Member

Default The ultimate filter?

I know this sounds like a dumb question, but let me see if anyone has anything to add to this apparent dilemma. That being, there seems no perfect filter method for me. This is what I've deduced from tons of web searching recently, scouring through tons of conflicting information.

I just want a system that removes harmful stuff like chlorine, chloramines, fluoride, lead, mercury, VOC's, etc. WHILE keeping the natural minerals of the water in. Ideally, it'd be NSF certified so I can be sure it's actually doing what it claims.

Speaking basically here without getting into too much detail, R/O systems it seems remove fluoride and about everything else but will strip the water of it's natural minerals, which isn't ideal.

Certain carbon filters, however, can also get about everything out of the water and will leave the minerals, however, they cannot remove fluoride.

So does anyone have a suggestion on what to do?

My next thought is to get an RO system that strips the water down and research if there's a method to replenish or reconstitute the water with the proper minerals so it's once again healthy.

Suggestions? Comments?

pyater is offline Junior Member

Default Any answers?

I agree and would like to solve the same issues. I already have a whole house carbon filter and it is effectively removing all but flouride. I actually just tested.

I am considering RO system with Mineralization cartridge.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by dugawug

My next thought is to get an RO system that strips the water down and research if there's a method to replenish or reconstitute the water with the proper minerals so it's once again healthy.

Suggestions? Comments?
    It is difficult to personally select certian elements to be removed without effecting other so-called natural elements or healthful elements. ROs are very effective at removing or greatly reducing essentially everything out of water. Have a special mineral cartridge (not a filter) that can introduce certian elements could be the way to go.

Kinetico (K5) makes an RO with a mineral cartridge. This will elevate tehe TDS and give the water a 'hardwater' taste.

As far as carbon filters removing 'about everyting', they are very effective and can adsorb (not absorb) many organic elements and certain non-organic chemeicals. Different carbon filters can remove different things. Some can handle taste, clarity and odor and others can take out volitile organic compounds (VOCs).

Drinking water quality should be taken very seriously; recent reports have shown that municiple and well water quality is increasing becoming more and more difficult to treat due to contamnants, some in trace amounts, others severe and way past maximum contamination levels.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Tim
    Tim is offline Junior Member

I have the same issue. I have had R/O systems since 1985 and now know that the water is dead water. I even tried a mineral cartridge but they dont do much. The calcite cartridge just neutralizes any high PH water made by the R/O and only adds what the high PH water needs. ( Disolves the calcite with the high PH water. ) Other cartriges will not regulate the amount of minerals dumped into the water. First you need to test your water to find out whats in it. You most likely wont find lead or heavy metals ( if you test for these ). Water testing that is too in depth costs alot of money. Check out Doulton ceramic filters and how they work. I am getting 2 of these. I am just going to construct my own series of high quality filters to remove almost everything but the minerals and call it good. My inlaws have a shallow well that they drink from ( unfiltered ) and they are in their late 70s with no major health issues. I think if we filter the crap out of our water we should be good. If anything slips by, it will be very minimal. Dont forget about all the water you absorb from showering--

Hi,
    Welcome to the forum buddy its nice that you like to built the filtration system but cam you tell exactly which system you have in your mind to built?You have any specification about where you want to use it and for what purpose?

Water Filtration FL

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Water Filtration FL
    Hi,
    Welcome to the forum buddy its nice that you like to built the filtration system but cam you tell exactly which system you have in your mind to built?You have any specification about where you want to use it and for what purpose?

Water Filtration FL
    I don't think he is really very serious here. Spammers don't usually reply.