Thread: Filter Change versus Rated Gallon Spec

Sully is offline Junior Member

Default Filter Change versus Rated Gallon Spec

I am using a KX Matrikx +CR1 19-250-125-20 Carbon Filter (19-250-125-20)
    for my home. The specification for this filter for Chlorine Taste & Odor Reduction Capacity @ Flow is >20,000 gal. @ 5.0 GPM. I use ~6,500 gallons per month. You site recommends changing every 6 months to 1 year. Based on my usage, how often should I replace this filter?

Does this / how does this correspond to the >20,000 gallon spec?

Thanks!

Roxanne is offline Senior Member

Default Chlorine Reduction

Hi Sully,

Basically what that spec is telling you is that this particular filter will reduce 99% chlorine taste & odor for greater than 20,000 gallons at a flow rate of 5 GPM. This is information is based on tests run by the manufacturer under a controlled environment. That being said, no one's water is the same, your flow rate is going to be different, your water condition and temperature is going to be different than what was run during the test. That's why this manufacturer, along with most others, recommend you change your filter every 6 months. Some people's filters last longer based on their water quality and usage but it could also go the other way.

Knowing when to change your filter is not an exact science unfortunately (unless you loose your water pressure then you know for sure it's time to change ). What you can do is test your water periodically to make sure the filter is still performing at your expectation. Hope this helps.
    Roxanne Crawford
    FiltersFast
    www.filtersfast.com
    866-438-3458

Sully is offline Junior Member

Default Water Test(s)

Roxanne,

Thanks! "What you can do is test your water periodically" What test(s) do you recommend to perform?

Thanks again.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Test your water for chlorine after the filter. Carbon filters become exhausted by the number of gallons AND the concentration of chlorine removal. Other elements may also shorten the life of carbon filters.

Chlorine test kits are inexpensive and easy to use. Filtersfast should be able to help you out there.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II