Thread: Braided Cross-Linked PEX Hoses

coolclearwater is offline Junior Member

Default Braided Cross-Linked PEX Hoses

Braided Cross-Linked PEX Hoses (easy to find on search but hard to purchase hoses)

Maybe you could carry this item in 4 ft lengths. I would buy 6 ASAP.
    Regular washing machine fittings. Installers could do some fast set ups with these puppies!!

ie: I have a whole house system installed. I have a tankless water heater and need clean water to the heat exchangers. Now it seems we are considering changing our braided washing machine hoses to PEX braided hoses, upgrading our carbon filter and installing a UV system between the whole house and the tankless water heater...then drinking the water.

Recent articles suggest the bottle water may not be as safe as thought and besides last year 77 million gals of oil were consumed to make the water bottles!

Any way how about carring Braided Cross-Linked PEX Hoses in standard 3/4 washing machine fittings in 4 ft lengths?

Last edited by coolclearwater; 07-02-2008 at 01:39 PM.
    Smooth runs the water where the brook is deep.
    -William Shakespeare (1564-1616), Henry VI, part II

Gary Slusser is offline Banned

I've been doing plumbing for many years and I've never heard of braided PEX. And PEX is not hose, it is CTS (copper tubing size) tubing. PEX and other polyethylene (PE) tubing or IRS (iron pipe size) pipe doesn't require 'reinforcement'.

Possibly you mean PVC hose?

There is stainless steel braided rubber hose. They have a small ID and the rubber tends to deteriorate over time.

Also, water treatment equipment and water heaters etc. does not have straight thread, they have tapered NPT (national pipe thread), so a hose thread fitting will not fit.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by coolclearwater
    Braided Cross-Linked PEX Hoses (easy to find on search but hard to purchase hoses.
    Yes, there is a hose using PEX and they are braided. These have a straight thread. Not sure where the confusion lies.

I know just what you are talking about. They come in 4', 5', 6' and 10' lengths. These should be available and I am not sure why these are "unknown". They are produced in my area and I can give you an 800 number if you wish (or send me a private message). I think they would an make an excellent upgrade to current selections.

No problem with your search and a purchase order could be a simple task. It seems you are very concerned with your water and environmental issues. Good luck on your upgrades.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II
    Last edited by Andy CWS; 07-08-2008 at 06:21 AM.

mercuryplastics makes the PEX Braided and I called the guy over the production and he said that people just could not understand what a PEX hose was (for a washing machine) and that they were not available in the big box stores. Since they were the manufacturer they could not help me with the 6ea - 4 ft lengths I needed and he offered no referrals but said he would get back with me with stores that carry them. I have heard nothing back from him. I decided to make up the needed lines from 1/2 PEX line and have been looking at this fitting and that fitting. Sure would be nice to have the hoses that were PEX with the standard washing machine screw fittings.

The main advantage of the PEX braided hoses is they just do not burst since they have sealed fitting ends. They are actually molded in not crimped.

Currently I am using Braided PVC (eastland) altho PVC is non toxic I would prefer (for peace of mind) PEX for drinking water.

All in all making up PEX hose is a piece of cake and with the newer push in stackable fittings, well they just make sense for my intended purpose which is to tap the fountain to fill bottles before the water enters our whole house copper lines.

My understanding is that once the chlorine is removed from the system care must be taken as not to contaminate the water (shorter more direct runs to the bottle might be advisable, also any line after UV cleaning, 'to the bottle' that is made to disconnect for cleaning would be a good idea).

Actually we have the system inplace to filter the water for our 1 year old tankless water heater. We have been drinking bottled water. We have decided to use this system to treat our water for drinking as a way to reduce dependency on OIL since last year 77 million gallons or (BARRELS unsure) of oil were used to make bottles for water.

So the whole house system we have is actually for the tankless water heater (to keep the small heat exchangers particle free). We are upgrading the filtering system with a high end 20" x 4.25" carbon filter, a pleated sediment filter into a small uv sanitizer (22 watts, just burns less juice) tapped with a TEE to a down valve to a cool coil hose to fill bottles as needed also straight through the TEE to the tankless for whole house hot water needs.

Actually the PEX push in fittings are ideal since I have installed a watts pressure reducing valve on the inlet and a spring loaded check valve on the outlet. This way I always know the regulated psi as in the past I have noted spikes in psi as high as 110. I know alot of folk would enjoy that kinda flow but it is best regulated to avoid blowing off a fitting, which should hold but maybe does not. I have had a hose burst in the past and it is not a pretty thing. I monitor and inspect all fittings looking for drips and general appearance.

All together total system upgrade should be around $400.00 That certainly is well worth the price for the peace of mind knowing your drinking water is clean enough to drink!
    Last edited by coolclearwater; 07-11-2008 at 09:57 PM.

Are you still looking for them? I was offering a location for you.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Yes would like a location. I am rethinking Pex Braided Hose hook ups. I will call and order. Please PM me the details and thanks!

PEX BRAIDED HOSE
    Yes looking for location

I PMed you.

thanks
    Andy

Please excuse Andy's cryptic ramblings.

PEX is no healthier than any other plumbing materials rated NSF Standard 61.

PEX is not hose, it is CTS (copper tubing size) tubing.

IMO the braiding is not going to prevent bursting of the PEX, or blowout of the tubing from the fittings.

I must not be alone about never hearing of these things, especially when big box or other stores don't carry them but would if they were affordable and would sell.

Your 1/2" PEX will not have very good flow for a main water line. 3/4" would be a much better choice especially to a water heater.

Is the UV light a class A or B?

Julian,

This is waht I was talking about.

Click to enlarge

Your pex hoses would look good on it, don't you think? This will cut your expenses by hundreds of dollars a year and improve your laundry results.

Good luck and let me know how the order goes with your PEX hoses.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Rememebr, P-2 always goes before the second orifice but only if it is not open.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

NH Master is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser
    Please excuse Andy's cryptic ramblings.

PEX is no healthier than any other plumbing materials rated NSF Standard 61.

And yet on other forums you have said that copper is not good?

PEX is not hose, it is CTS (copper tubing size) tubing.

Only the OD. the ID is considerably smaller

IMO the braiding is not going to prevent bursting of the PEX, or blowout of the tubing from the fittings.

I must not be alone about never hearing of these things, especially when big box or other stores don't carry them but would if they were affordable and would sell.

Plumbing supply houses have sodl them for years but then you aren't a plumber

Your 1/2" PEX will not have very good flow for a main water line. 3/4" would be a much better choice especially to a water heater.

Is the UV light a class A or B?
    Speaking of cryptic ramblings

PEX is no healthier than any other plumbing materials rated NSF Standard 61; that includes copper. And yes, IMO plastic is a much better choice for water liens than copper.

PEX is not hose, it is CTS (copper tubing size) tubing. Yes the OD is maintained, that's true of all CTS tubing and why I mentioned it.

And I don't care how long supply houses in NE have sold a PEX line with a cute plastic braided covering and mistakenly called it a hose.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser

PEX is not hose, it is CTS (copper tubing size) tubing. Yes the OD is maintained, that's true of all CTS tubing and why I mentioned it.

And I don't care how long supply houses in NE have sold a PEX line with a cute plastic braided covering and mistakenly called it a hose.
    A hose is a hollow tube designed to carry fluids from one location to another. Hoses are also sometimes called pipes (the word pipe usually refers to a rigid tube, whereas a hose is usually a flexible one), or more generally tubing. The shape of a hose is usually cylindrical (having a circular cross section).

NH Master is offline Senior Member

I see your " I don't care " and raise you an " I don't give a crap "

It is a hose. Hoses have two ends on them. either male x male, female x female, or male x female or even reducing sizes. Pipes is pipes. They don't come with ends on them. They come in 10 or 20 foot lengths or in rolls. Thus ends Hose and Pipe lesson in plumbing 101.

Oh, and what is a "water lien" ? is that like a legal thing
    Last edited by NH Master; 12-27-2009 at 08:47 PM.

Driller1 is offline Senior Member

Is a rose sill a rose by any other name?