Thread: rotten egg smelling well water

lparenti is offline Junior Member

Unhappy rotten egg smelling well water

My well water smells like rotten eggs. It permeates the entire house. A friend who is a chemist says that I need a whole house charcoal filter on the inlet water line. Is this what I need? Do you sell this?

Gary Slusser is offline Banned

Chemists don't know water treatment. Carbon, unless Centaur, is a very bad choice to remove H2S gas. You usually have to oxidize H2S gas and then filter the particulate matter that causes out of the water but, H2S can be caused by bacteria and then you have to use a disinfectant that will kill the bacteria while oxidizing the H2S they create.

That is done on a POE (point of entry) 'whole house' basis and disposable cartridge filters are a bad choice for that type treatment.

You need a water treatment dealer, either like me, an online dealer, or a local dealer you can find in the yellow pages under the heading Water whatever.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

There are a number of methods to remove hydrogen sulfide odors from the water. Some are more effective that others; some require more attention that others; and some require chemicals, others just air injection.

Depending on the levels you are experiencing one treatment may favor over another. It would be difficult to recommend any treatment without knowing more. Do you have test results?

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

lilypotter2009 is offline Junior Member

Sulphur or H2S gives off a rotten egg odor if it's in well water or pumping pipes are contaminated . First go the to Well and and get a bucket of water to smell for Sulphur or Hydrogen sulfide.
    H2S gas can result from a number of different sources. It can occur naturally in groundwater. It can be produced by certain "sulfur bacteria" in the groundwater, in the well, or in the water distribution system. It can be produced also by sulfur bacteria or chemical reactions inside water heaters. In rare instances, it can result from pollution. The source of the gas is important when considering treatment options.

Gary Slusser is offline Banned

That's why I use an oxidizing disinfectant. It oxidizes the gas and kills the bacteria that create it.

lilypotter2009 is offline Junior Member

Hey using oxidizing disinfectant is also a very good treatment.

jscroger is offline Junior Member

Default Sulfer, Rotten Eggs, Got all that

Hello, I recently moved to Oklahoma to teach Science- Chemistry, Biology, and Physical Science. My trailer however, the water is crazy with the smell of Sulfur, and I can't stand it. the whole area is a Christian residential rehabilitation place, and all the water to some degree has this odor. I would like to get a filter, that strictly handles the Sulfer, but i have no real good idea on how to do it. I have seen a few things online, but i haven't delved too deep.

Also, I would really like to do a series of labs in my chemistry class strictly on filtration systems, where our schools drinking water comes from, different filters, etc, even planning on going to the local towns water treatment facility. My actual background is in geology, so I am struggling with chemistry a bit, I catch on faster than my students, which gives me that upper hand.

The residential plumber who has to get filtration certifications, was talking about using chlorine, but that really only get's rid of harmful particulates.

I really want a filter for my trailer, if it cost me 1,000 dollars I'll do it, I don't plan to leave this place, it's my dream job, so, any help, with filter, and my class would be sweeeeet!

God Bless!

Jason Scroger

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Getting more deetails on your sulfur would be helpful. Different levels would require different pieces of equipment. A cheap 'filter' can be very regretable as it will burn out soon and replacement would be a constant headache.

Oxidation is a primary means of converting sulfur gases into elemental sulfur which is then filtered out. Adsorption is another maens using carbon filters. These need ot be replaced or regenerated with a chemcal so that the carbon would last longer.

Then there is a catalytic-type sytems like greensand filters that use potassium permangante. These are falling out of favor due to chemical use and service problems over a period of time.

Get your water tested and get back with results.

Andy Christensen

Driller1 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lparenti
    My well water smells like rotten eggs. It permeates the entire house. A friend who is a chemist says that I need a whole house charcoal filter on the inlet water line. Is this what I need? Do you sell this?
    Is is both the hot and cold? When you run water outside, does it smell? Can you take the cap off your well? If so, take it off and see if it smells in the well. And if you run the water five minutes or so, does it smell better?
    Last edited by Driller1; 12-03-2009 at 04:47 PM.

M Rhett is offline Junior Member

Smile Rotten Egg Smell

I also have a rotten egg smell. Seems like it is worse when water is first turned on (hot or cold) but always present.

I have had the water tested by the SC DHEC in Nov.
    Iron in water was <0.020 mg/L EPA 200.7
    Since the sulfur is a gas it is not in the water itself and cannot be tested in a water test.

What would you recommend for this?