Thread: Rust filter

retired-chef is offline Junior Member

Default Rust filter

I am looking for a filter to eliminate visible and non-visable rust. Water use is less than 5 GPH. Please help. Thanks

rscardigno is offline Administrator

Default Whole House or point of use filter

Are you looking to use this filter for your entire house of for a specific point of use such as your kitchen sink?

Default Reply

Point of use. For a concrete cure room...commercial application, but the amount of water per hour is small. I am almost positive that there is visable and non-visable iron in the water because of how agressive the water is with metal shelves. I have the identical shelves in other concrete cure rooms throughout the state and none of them are corroding. I have used these shelves (NSF) for over 30-years. In the Tampa office, the shelves corroded and failed catestrophically after 6-weeks! There may be some salt and definitely there is chlorine in the water, but we are atomizing the water, which should take care of the chlorine...I think.

Anyway, let me know.

Thank you

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Non-visible, or ferrous, iron can be removed via a softener. Visible, or ferric, iron can be removed with a filter, so you would need two types of equipment.

Because you using it for commercial applications, you may need to see the value in applying quality equipment that would be cost effective.

There are systems that both soften water filter it and remove chlorine.

Andy Christensen, CWS

Default But...aren't softners usually 'powered' with salt?

I cannot introduce chlorides, so I am concerned with using a softener. I have always seen them use salt for conditioning. Is there another type of softener that I don't know about? Thank you

Sorry, I haven't responded earlier.

With your water use so low, then an RO wiull provide your needs nicely. It may need to be softened first but the RO will remove chlorides as well as other minerals and organics.

Hope we didn't lose you....

Andy Christensen, CWS

robert mendez is offline Junior Member

Default Robert Murphy, NC

I have built a cabin in Murphy, NC and it is well water with low water preassure. I had no idea that the water was going to stain all the toilets as quickly as it did since we have only used it about three weeks since we closed 6 months ago. Help please. Definetly iron and smell, don't think chlorine is a problem from a well.
    With all respect please in plain lenguage will someone tell me what I need to get by. Yes, I must consider cost, and hopefully with some minor assistance I can install myself.

Before you do anything, get a thorough water analysis. Avoid the headache of jumping in with something that doesn't do the job, getting a cure-all system or something because it was 'cheap'.

Make sure the type of iron is dissolved and not suspended. In other words, if the water is coming out a reddish color, then you have suspended, or ferric, iron and a different system or additional equipment may be needed.

How often is the cabin occupied? Does it remain empty for long periods of time and then occupied with groups for short periods?

Get those tests done and get back with us. I'm sure a solution can be found that can fit your needs and abilitiies.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

robert mendez is offline Junior Member

Default Robert Mendez, Murphy, NC.

Thanks for your quick reply, will have to get a water analysis the next time I go there.
    Not used by anyone at this time, only been there 3 times since November, 5 days each time. Just the wife and I. Can say that the water seems clean or clear when it comes out of the kitchen but did open the toilet holding tank last week before flushing, remmebering that it had not been flushed since December, when we were there last and there was a strange looking floating film on top of the water.
    Again thanks.
    Robert Mendez.

sanjit12 is offline Junior Member

Default test link is need to check test link is need to check robert mendez

[QUOTE=robert mendezdfgdf]dgfdgdfgfdgThanks for your quick reply, will have to get a water analysis the next time I go there. Thanks for your quick reply, will have to get a water analysis the next time I go there.

Again thanks.
    Robert Mendezdgdfg.[/QUOTEghgfhgfh]

Eric55 is offline Junior Member

Rust filter screens out dirt and rust particles from the fuel. It is a filter that lies in the fuel line.
    Eric55

MarioH is offline Junior Member

Hi, I have a few questions please - how often do I need to replace the rust filter - is it measured by time or by the amount of water consumed? also, what happens to the filter if I'm out of home for a long period of time , I mean about 4-6 months while I leave my water system closed and unused..? Will it still be effective after such a long time?
    Last edited by Andy CWS; 09-13-2011 at 05:30 AM.

TRT
    TRT is offline Junior Member

Greetings,

I need to understand whether Tannins at 036 mg/L of well water is significant enough to require specific filtration. Or, will filtration for rust be sufficient to eliminate the orange staining?

Thanks!