Thread: Recommendations for whole house water filter system

koopyetz is offline Junior Member

Default Recommendations for whole house water filter system

Hello forum members

Wife wants to remove chlorine from water as it serves sinks, hose bib, shower/tub.

We have met with culligan , martin and talked over the phone with puriteam, aquasana and pelican.

Puriteam has media that will need to be replaced roughly every 10 years. They said we could replace media

The systems discussed cover quite a range with lots of bells and whistles.

Ultimately looking for a system with a pre filter and primary filter. No reverse osmosis. The system to be plumbed with a bypass.

Bypass to allow primary system maintenance and occasionally to reintroduce chlorinated water into system to
    flush out any ill humors that may occur within plumbing lines beyond filter system ( or so we are told ).

We live in finger lakes region of new york.

Input please and any things to watch out for.

Thank you

pawaterguy is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by koopyetz View Post
    Hello forum members

Wife wants to remove chlorine from water as it serves sinks, hose bib, shower/tub.

We have met with culligan , martin and talked over the phone with puriteam, aquasana and pelican.

Puriteam has media that will need to be replaced roughly every 10 years. They said we could replace media

The systems discussed cover quite a range with lots of bells and whistles.

Ultimately looking for a system with a pre filter and primary filter. No reverse osmosis. The system to be plumbed with a bypass.

Bypass to allow primary system maintenance and occasionally to reintroduce chlorinated water into system to
    flush out any ill humors that may occur within plumbing lines beyond filter system ( or so we are told ).

We live in finger lakes region of new york.

Input please and any things to watch out for.

Thank you
    Go with a prefilter and a dechlorinator (carbon tank). Get it plumbed in with a 3 valve bypass and you're all set. The carbon has a life span that depends on chlorine level and gallons through the unit. Ask your salesman to guess how long it would take before needing to be rebedded....which is fairly cheap when it needs to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by pawaterguy View Post
    Go with a prefilter and a dechlorinator (carbon tank). Get it plumbed in with a 3 valve bypass and you're all set. The carbon has a life span that depends on chlorine level and gallons through the unit. Ask your salesman to guess how long it would take before needing to be rebedded....which is fairly cheap when it needs to happen.
    Thanks pawaterguy

We have one quote from Martin rep noting dechlorinator 1060 chlorine removal by kinetico .

I'll revisit quote work up and phone rep.

Curious thought. I indicated prefilter but wonder if some kind of filter after 1060 ( or other means) might be required to filter out any carbon particles . I ask as I have a pur filter on refrigerator and it notes that I need to run water through filter after Installation prior to drinking. Is there a similar start up on the house system where the carbon bed needs flushing at install?
    Thanks again

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by pawaterguy View Post
    Thanks

I have one quote indicating kinetico dechlorinator 1060. I'll ask them for quote as you outlined.

Curious if carbon bed needs to be flushed out before water at sink is used for drinking.

pawaterguy is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by koopyetz View Post
    Thanks

I have one quote indicating kinetico dechlorinator 1060. I'll ask them for quote as you outlined.

Curious if carbon bed needs to be flushed out before water at sink is used for drinking.
    I may have worded that a bit awkwardly. The dechlor will be the first thing the water goes through and then through a filter for the reasons you described....probably a 5 micron. That'll keep the fines from coming through and also protect the plumbing system from any large particles that might come through...say the town flushes their hydrants and stir things up...that sort of thing. On startup, the installer will flush off the carbon for a few minutes to make sure the water is clear before you begin use. When he leaves you'll be good to go. You may have to change the filter a bit more than what will become normal during the first few months to a year...but the carbon will settle down and that will improve over time. The Kinetico unit is an upflow unit and is an excellent value. Sounds like you're on the right track.
    Last edited by pawaterguy; 06-05-2014 at 11:07 AM.

Thanks again

Rick