Thread: GE SmartWater Filter Life

jhsu is offline Junior Member

Default GE SmartWater Filter Life

My GE refrigerator filter only lasts an average of 6 weeks before the flow slows down to a trickle. Once I replace it, the flow is good, so I know it is the filter, but I can't imagine that my water is that bad. I moved from California where the water looked like a cesspool and had a strong sulfur smell, and my filters lasted longer there. What's going on?

Roxanne is offline Senior Member

Default Fridge Filter Life

Quote Originally Posted by jhsu
    My GE refrigerator filter only lasts an average of 6 weeks before the flow slows down to a trickle. Once I replace it, the flow is good, so I know it is the filter, but I can't imagine that my water is that bad. I moved from California where the water looked like a cesspool and had a strong sulfur smell, and my filters lasted longer there. What's going on?
    Has this happened with more than one filter? If not, I would try a new filter -- the one that didn't last long may have been defective.

If it's happening repeatedly then sadly, it may just be your water quality. If there is a great deal of sediment in your water or even if you have old pipes and there is heavy rust these things can clog a filter. I would tell you to check the water line going to the fridge for kinks but you said the flow returns when you change the filter so that doesn't seem to be the issue.

You could always get your water tested so you could determine if it is a water quality issue or perhaps an issue with your fridge.
    Roxanne Crawford
    FiltersFast
    www.filtersfast.com
    866-438-3458