Thread: Sediments / Egg white look in melted ice cubes

filtersession is offline Junior Member

Default Sediments / Egg white look in melted ice cubes

Water coming out of the water dispenser is fine, but water from melted ice cubes has this sediment that looks like egg white.

What could it be?

I have a Frigidaire side by side Gallery fridge with the water filters I bought from Filtersfast....

Thanks

rscardigno is offline Administrator

Post First Time

Since your water out of the dispneser looks fine, I would rule out the filter itself. Some Carbon filters can cause ice cubes to appear white, but when they melt, the only thing left is water. I would recommend discarding all ice that is currently in the ice tray and see if you are still having the problem. If you are still experiencing the issue, can you take and post an image of the sediment? Another thing to try would be to place water from the dispenser or tap for that matter into a glass and let it sit overnight. Do you see the sediment in the bottom of the glass?

filtersession is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rscardigno
    Since your water out of the dispneser looks fine, I would rule out the filter itself. Some Carbon filters can cause ice cubes to appear white, but when they melt, the only thing left is water. I would recommend discarding all ice that is currently in the ice tray and see if you are still having the problem. If you are still experiencing the issue, can you take and post an image of the sediment? Another thing to try would be to place water from the dispenser or tap for that matter into a glass and let it sit overnight. Do you see the sediment in the bottom of the glass?

thanks.
    The water out of the dispenser is clear - even when left overnight.
    I've discarded ALL the ice and still have this problem....

rscardigno is offline Administrator

Question hmmm

The culprit is after the water line splits to go to the icemaker or the dispenser after the water filter. It could be the icemaker itself or the water line after the split somehow. Can you take a picture of the sediment?

mama is offline Junior Member

Default Sediments/ egg white look in melted ice cubes

I, too have the egg white look in melted ice cubes, but also in water that comes from the dispensor on our GE Profile Arctica PSS25NGNA refrigerator. The GE Answer line person never heard of such a thing. She thought maybe that, as I had just replaced the filter and flushed at least 5 gallons of water through, and still see it, it isn't the filter. Previous filters also had no effect. She thought it might be the resevoir after the filter, which is located below the fridge. How do I clean the line and the resevoir? How do people who move remove water there, so it doesn't become standing water when the fridge is stored? Can a person that is not a technician fix this problem? Am I barking up the wrong tree? Any help would be so appreciated!

Mama

mama is offline Junior Member

Default trying to flush line to dispenser

I am still concerned about the yuck in my filtered water through the refrigerator dispenser. I would like to know how to put a cleanser through the place where the water filter goes. The angle seems hard, so I can't just pour something, and I don't want to take the fridge apart. I am thinking that flushing the line with vinegar would clean out mineral build up, as it does for a coffee maker.

Any hints?

Mamacita

LINCOLN is offline Junior Member

Default Slimy Sediments in melted ice

It is good to know that I am not the only person with sediment problems in melted ice. We first noticed the problem after purchasing a new refrigerator. The vendor's repair technicians could not solve the problem so the vendor replaced the refrigerator - No Help - Same problem. The sediment is coming from the filter because no sediment was evident when I bypassed the filter. That is the way we are now using the refrigerator.

Does anyone have a means to determine why sediment forms when the water from the filter is frozen and then melted? Obviously there is something coming from the filter.

Should we notify the EPA or maybe get a Class Action Lawyer?

Let's keep the ball rolling and find a solution!!!!!!!!!

Default Testing Water From A Refrigerator Filter

Is There A Nationally Recognized Company That Will Test Water From A Refrigerator Filter To Determine If The Filter Is Contaminating The Water?

kipper is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by filtersession
    Water coming out of the water dispenser is fine, but water from melted ice cubes has this sediment that looks like egg white.

What could it be?

I have a Frigidaire side by side Gallery fridge with the water filters I bought from Filtersfast....

Thanks

Ice cubes freeze from the outside, so the center of the cube is the last to freeze. Ice is pure water, only H2O, so as the ice cube freezes, all of the dissolved minerals, like the hardness minerals, get pushed to the center. Near the end of the freezing, there isn't much water left in the center of the cube, so these minerals become very concentrated, and they form the "white stuff" - the technical name is precipitate. The hardness minerals that cause the "white stuff" are not toxic.

Some commercial ice cubes are "cored" after they freeze to remove this material. Having posts in your ice cube tray doesn't help, however, as the precipitate must actually be removed by coring.

Default "white Stuff In Melted Ice"

Kipper,

Your Answer Looks Good With One Exception - The "white Stuff" Does Not Appear When The Water Filter Is By Passed - Do You Think That The Filter Is Putting The Minerals In The Water?

Thanks!

Default Filter Problem

After negative responses from EPA and FDA, I contacted the Consumer Product Safety Commission CPSC) @ 1-800-638-2772. They took the information on "white sediment in melted ice" and gave it report number H0720179A. I think we would benefit if each person with the problem would contact them.
    Last edited by LINCOLN; 03-19-2007 at 02:36 PM.

AS400jockey is offline Junior Member

Default My observations...

I have the same issue - white sediment falls out of the cubes as they melt. I have well water, a 'whole house' filter, an acid neutralizer (calcite), another whole house filter - this one with carbon. In the kitchen I have a drinking water filter - an aquapure 300, I think. The water out of the tap is crystal clear and tastes great.

The ice maker is fed off the aquapure.

I didn't know if it was the fridge, so I dusted off some ice cube trays. Same issue. It's not the fridge.

My raw well water tests out very well, but it's fairly acidic. The neutralizer will inject some hardness (calcium, from the calcite).

I agree with the proposition that the white stuff is from the minerals in the water.

Default AS400jockey

The sediment is definitely caused by filter induced contaminents - I froze a bottle of water off the grocery shelf - Same results - It appears that the filter companies do not want us to know what they put in the filters - EPA and government entities also are no help - WE ARE USING OUR REFRIGERATOR WITH NO FILTER INSTALLED - NO PROBLEMS WITH SEDIMENT - WE HAVE GOOD CITY WATER.

AS400jockey is offline Junior Member

Question More science...

I'm intrigued by what the heck this stuff is.

We know that I get this white stuff from the water after the H300 filter.

I made some cubes using water before the H300 filter (well water, calcite filter, various sediment filters). Same crud.

Then I tried some DISTILLED WATER. If this is really DISTILLED water, there should be next to nothing in it as far as minerals go. I made a tray of ice cubes from distilled water. Poured a glass of distilled water. Clear as, well, distilled water ought to be. I then dropped in a couple cubes made from the distilled water.

I expected to see no crud peeling off the cubes. To my amazement, the same flakes of stuff appeared. Maybe not as much, but it was clearly there. These flakes appear not just initially, but during the entire melting process, just like all the other tests I ran.

So - to summarize - this happens with distilled water, well water, filtered well water, calcite-treated well water. It happens with the ice maker in the fridge, and with ice cube trays.

I'm reminded of Colonel Jack D. Ripper from Dr. Strangelove...

"Have you ever heard of flouridation, Group Captain Mandrake?"

"We must protect our precious bodily fluids at all cost..."

I don't know what the heck this stuff is, but I guess I'm not going to worry about it...

katie is offline Junior Member

Per Nicole @ Frigidaire/Electrolux, the main reason why customers will have white flakes in their water is because of three things:
    1. Water Valve
    2. Solenoid
    3. Water Coil

Justin00Stang is offline Junior Member

I had this at my old house, cleaning the ice cube tray with a CLR type product would take the stuff off the bottom of the tray, I always figured it had something to do with the very hard city water that we had.

WaterLovin is offline Junior Member

Default "Floaties"

The "floaties" you see in your water is from calcium carbonate and other minerals. People with hard water have this problem. You don't see it when you pour out the water but freeze it and let it melt again and the floaties appear. This is because freezing pushes the minerals into the center of the ice into a concentrated mineral white floatie, flakey look and the center of ice is usually where the floaties are and to get rid of them, one way I know of it to core them. Have you seen ice cubes with a hole in the center? Removing the core gets rid of most floaties. They are harmless, just unsightly. Since coring is pretty much impractical, it is best to get used to them or use the other alternative which is to get a water softener, since it seems to produce clear ice for most people. Hope this helps!

Alex is offline Senior Member

Default Soften the water

You can install a water softener in your home or you can use a point of use cartridge that will take the hardness minerals from the water.

OmniFilter Q5754.
    &
    OmniFilter valved head.

You can install this filter head and cartridge on the water line going into the refrigerator. This is a resin cartridge that will remove the harness minerals.