Thread: 4396510 has inconsistent instructions

tstrickl is offline Junior Member

Default 4396510 has inconsistent instructions

Several problems here. I have a Kenmore Elite 46-9010 side-by-side refrigerator. I have previously purchased the replacement filters from Sears. I thought I'd give filtersfast.com a try. I ordered the Whirlpool 4396510 filter for it. Better than the 4396508 it says. Removes extra stuff and you aren't required to run 2-3 gallons of water through it. Wrong. The box that the filter comes in says to just take the old one out and put the new one in. Agrees with the website info here which says it doesn't require any water run through it.

The label on the filter cartridge says to run 2-3 gallons of water through it. Anyhow, I didn't read that label at first. I dispensed a glass or two of water and it had these little tiny white flakes in it. I had to run AT LEAST 2-3 gallons of water through it to get it to clear up. There is also a piece of paper inserted in the box that says something about resetting the refrigerator from a 500 to a 400 gallon cyst filter by pressing the reset button 10 times. Confusing. I have no idea why they are saying I need to convert from 500 to 400. Are they saying that this filter does less volume than the old one? Who knows? Filtersfast didn't know when I called. They also didn't know about why the packaging and their website says one thing and the cartridge says another.

I ordered two of the same cartridge, so I took the other cartridge out and verified that the label also said the same thing about the 2-3 gallons of water and that it also had an inserted sheet about the 500 to 400 gallon thing. It did. I called a number on that sheet that Whirlpool had. Figures - they have absolutely no one that you can talk to that is tech support on their filters. The sales/parts/customer service guy said that a service tech would need to come out. Yeah, right.

What an experience. I pay $5 extra for the supposedly better filter that doesn't require the water run through it, but end up wondering why purchasing and installing a filter can be this confusing. Someone has the answer. Just not the people I've talked to. I know others have reported the tiny white flake thing, although multiple people have said that the filter should only have carbon pieces at first. Someone's not up to date on this stuff.

rscardigno is offline Administrator

Post 4396508 versus the 4396510

Here are the differences between the 4396508 and the 4396510 water filters.

The 4396508 water filter has been tested and certified to remove the following from your water:
    Chlorine - 99%
    Lead - pH 6.5 - 99.35%
    Lead - pH 8.5 - 99.31%
    Mercury - pH 6.5 - 96.22%
    Mercury - pH 8.5 - 91.57%
    Benzene - 96.4%
    p-Dichlorobenzene - 99.77%
    Toxaphene - 92.86%
    Cysts, 2,4-D, Atrazine, Asbestos, and Turbidity - not tested / certifed.

The 4396510 water filter has been tested and certified to remove the following from your water:
    Chlorine - 97.6%
    Lead - pH 6.5 - 99.35%
    Lead - pH 8.5 - 99.31%
    Mercury - pH 6.5 - 96.7%
    Mercury - pH 8.5 - 91.2%
    Benzene - 96.3%
    p-Dichlorobenzene - 99.7%
    Toxaphene - 92.96%

-And-

Cysts 99.99%
    2,4-D 93.06%
    Atrazine 85.06%
    Asbestos 99.93%
    Turbidity - 99.3%

Some refrigerator models which came with the 4396508 filter have the filter indicator light set to come on after 500 gallons of usage. It is recommended that the 4396510 filter be changed every 400 Gallons to provide the best protection against cysts and the other additional contaminants so your model may require you follow the instructions on the sheet to set your capacity to 400 gallons if you want your indicator light to come on at 400 gallons instead of 500 gallons. Again, this is not required to use the better filter, but is recommended to ensure you are using your filter as it was certified (up to 400 Gallons.)

As far as flushing the filter goes, it is always a good idea to flush any carbon based filter. It is in no way harmful to not flush your water filter as drinking carbon won't harm you in any way, but it doesn't look or taste great. Whirlpool published that flushing the filter was not necessary with the 4396510, which technically it is not required, but again we do recommend flushing any carbon filters for taste. Product descriptions come straight from Whirlpool and why their box and filter have different instructions is for them to answer, but flushing a couple of gallons through a water filter after installation only takes a few minutes and ensures clean, taste free water.

The extra cost on the 4396510 is based on the extra filtering capability as it is rated to remove cysts and other items from your water that the 4396508 is not certified to remove. If you are not concerned with removing
    Cysts 99.99%
    2,4-D 93.06%
    Atrazine 85.06%
    Asbestos 99.93%
    Turbidity - 99.3%
    from your water, then we recommend you purchase the cheapest filter available for your model which is the 4396508.

tstrickl is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the clarification. What about the little white flakes? I've seen the carbon stuff in previous filter models. This one didn't have any carbon at all in the flush - only little white flakes. Did they perhaps change the filter material? It took a while to flush them out.

rscardigno is offline Administrator

Default White flakes

I am not sure exactly sure what the white flakes are, but since they were flushed out, it must be some sort of manufacturing residue from the filter material. The filters are carbon based, but are also bonded into carbon blocks so it could be a bonding material. Any material used in the carbon or bonding is not harmful as all water passes through it, but it may not taste good or look very appealing.