Thread: GE WMF Slowing to a trickle after 3 weeks?

Schlag96 is offline Junior Member

Default GE WMF Slowing to a trickle after 3 weeks?

I have a GE fridge with the MWF filter. every time I get a new filter, the water slows to an unusable trickle after 3-4 weeks. It's happened 3 filters in a row.

I haven't had this problem in my other house in this neighborhood (different fridge/filter model), and my friends don't have this problem with the exact same fridge in this neighborhood.

What could be causing it?

Thanks,

Schlag

dooboy2112 is offline Junior Member

I also have a GE Model GSH25JFXNWW it also uses the MWF Filter. After I changed it the water slow to a stop with the new filter. Put the old one back on and the same thing. Any suggestions how to fix this?

Louis Cornell is offline Junior Member

Default Is anyone reading this?

I have the exact same problem...does anyone have a solution?

Alex is offline Senior Member

Default GE MWF - trickle

The GE MWF has a very high filtration rate at 0.5 microns. The smallest thing that the human eye can see is about 10 microns so this filter is removing things much smaller than what we can even see.

There is nothing in a carbon block that will slowly dissipate except for particulate clogging the filter. This can be anything from very fine silt, rust, dirt, and especially scale from hardness minerals in the water. Any of these can cause the filter to decrease in pressure over time. The better the filter, the better the water, but the more the filter will need to be replaced.

If the filter was bad, it usually wouldn't have worked or been a trickle from the beginning. The most common reason is usually from the city working upstream and releasing particulate into the water and the second reason being scale buildup from within the water system.

I would recommend that a prefilter be added before your refrigerator to help extend the life of the MWF or any refrigerator filter from clogging. The Omnifilter K5605 filter is an inline sediment filter that should reduce the particulate from reaching the MWF. It is especially necessary for well water as it is much more common to have sediments, rust, and hardness even at undetectable amounts to the average person.

K5605-JJ - For 1/4" tubing (Quick connect - copper or plastic)
    K5605-KK - For 3/8" tubing (Quick connect - copper or plastic)

To determine the size of the tubing would be to measure the outside diameter of the tubing itself.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Alex; 06-21-2011 at 01:23 PM.