Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Most efficient residential RO System?

  1. #1
    EssentialMinerals is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    23

    Default Most efficient residential RO System?

    Hello All,

    I was surfing the web recently and found the Everpure MRS-600 - a commercial food service RO system. What was noteworthy was:

    "When comparing the ratio of waste water to permeate (or usable) water produced, conventional RO systems are typically only about 20% efficient. The MRS-600 on the other hand, has an efficiency of nearly 80%!"

    "In fact, with conventional RO systems, nearly four gallons of water go to drain for every gallon of pure product quality water produced."

    "The MRS-Envi-RO produces up to four gallons of pure product water for every one gallon of water going to drain."

    Obviously, a commercial RO is too $$$ for residential applications. However, it made me curious as to what currently is the most efficient residential RO system?

    Thanks
    Last edited by EssentialMinerals; 05-07-2009 at 10:03 AM.

  2. #2
    EssentialMinerals is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Anyone?

    29 views to date and no replies. I sure someone knows which residential ROs are the most efficient. Thanks

  3. #3
    Andy CWS is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Port Clinton, Ohio, United States
    Posts
    750

    Default

    I am not familair with any testing for efficiency as a holistic perspective on the industry. NSF may supply that info on units tested and passing their protocols, but I don't know any comparison charts.

    Another view may be membrane life. Compare an RO where membranes need to be repalced every five years to those that can last more than fifteen. Also, the same unit can use a number of differently rated (gpd) membranes and this can affect its 'efficiency'.

    Those with membrane pumps tend to more efficient as that technology "pushes'" more water though the membrane at a higher rate.

    Andy Christensen, CWS-II

  4. #4
    EssentialMinerals is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    23

    Default Ratio of waste water to filtered drinking water

    Thanks for the reply Andy.

    For this thread, I'm curious to know which model RO systems have the lowest ratio of waste water to filtered drinking water.
    Those with membrane pumps tend to more efficient as that technology "pushes'" more water though the membrane at a higher rate.
    Which brands have membrane pumps?

    Agreed, longer membrane life is obviously beneficial as it reduces maintenance costs.

    Thanks again

  5. #5
    Splash is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Watts makes this one: Zero Waste (ZRO-4).
    They also show a kit to retro others. It takes the waste water and pumps it back into your hot water tank but for some reason it says your RO must be at least 25 ft from the hot water tank.

    https://www.wattspremier.com/product...Osmosis-System

  6. #6
    pawaterguy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    193

    Default

    Kineticos K5 uses a 1/3 ratio. One of the more efficient ones on the market. Also, with the water over water tank you get constant pressure the whole way through the tank as opposed to an air charged tank. As far as residential goes it's probably the best on the market that I work on.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •