Thread: Slow RO water after filter change

hansenaz is offline Junior Member

Default Slow RO water after filter change

I have a 15 yr old Kinetico RO system (model 518). New problem is this: after our recent filter change, the system "delivers" water very slowly. The first ~20oz come as normal then it slows to a trickle/drip. Wait a few minutes and it does the same. Makes filling the coffee pot very tedious.

I have a poor understanding of how it works so don't know the best way to diagnose and fix it. Thanks for your help!

steve

Boolean is offline Junior Member

Default I have a similar problem I think...

I think I may have a similar problem with my Kinetico 500 series system...

Plumber came to replace leaky well tank.
    After he had gone we found that he had left the feed to the water heater OFF and had left the water softener in bypass. I turned on the HW feed and took the WS out of bypass. Then my family pointed out that the RO system was running more slowly - not stopping completely, but slower flow out of the faucet.

I wondered if the plumber had left the RO system turned OFF. I checked the inlet valve to the RO system and it was still ON, so that wasn't the problem.

Could it be that the filter is nearing end of life, and that's what's slowing the flow, and it's just a coincidence that we noticed after the plumber had been? Could the plumber somehow have let some pressure out of the system?

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Doug is offline Junior Member

Default SLow water delivery

I also had a similar problem. Have you checked the air pressure in the holding tank? The model I have has an valve on the bottom of the tank for filling the tank with air. According to my service guy, there should be between 90 and 100 lbs of air in the tank. Once I filled the tank with air, the flow was back to normal.

pawaterguy is offline Senior Member

Check the air pressure in the tank. Drain all of the water from the tank first and then check it. 6 to 8 PSI will do the trick. If it doesn't hold air or seems waterlogged even after it's done delivering then the tank needs to be replaced.