Thread: my r/o drain runs contantly

vwluver is offline Junior Member

Default my r/o drain runs contantly

for now I have the drain water running into my sink, and it flows pretty steady while Im using drinking water and a little while after. I know that is normal but it constantly trickles after the tank is full, even the next morning it is still trickling. Is this normal or what could be my problem. Also I installed a cutoff at the end of the drain line for now to stop it, can that rupture the membrane. Thanks

does anyone know, I would like to hook my drain line to the sink drain, but I wanna make sure its working properly first. I took the drain line off straight from the membrane and there is a type of regulator installed coming off the elbow that installs inside the line, I have a bigger one installed after that one that has quick connect fittings on it and is the one I see on other systems. Is having two of those a problem, I tried to pull the other one out and cant seem to get it out without breaking it.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Last edited by rscardigno; 02-16-2010 at 10:24 PM.

neither one of those links helped. This should be pretty easy to answer, is your drain line supposed to run constantly whether it is a strong flow (while making clean water) or a slower trickle (when all clean water is made, storage tank is full, and ice maker is full) It seems to me it shouldnt run at all when not in use, so what could be my problem, ive went over the entire system several times and all connections seem to be correct, please any help will be grateful my wife cant stand the drain hose coming out of the cabinet and laying in the sink.

pawaterguy is offline Senior Member

what variety of RO do you have? might be a cap tube assembly if it's a more standard one...or a tank module if it's a Kinetico KRO unit.

anybody is offline Junior Member

Hello! I am new here, but I think I had just that problem myself. And I too think that late is better than never.

After installing my ro system, even when the reservoir was full, the system still drained water. This is, in my opinion, a terrible thing. Firstly because a lot of water goes down the drain, and secondly because that water still passes through the sediment and carbon filters, thus wearing them out sooner and requiring changing the filters more often.

In my particular case, the water pressure at home was very low, and the production of just one gallon would take hours, so I ended up putting a booster pump to increase the water pressure. The pump uses a pressure switch to detect when the reservoir is nearly empty, and turns the pump on. When the tank is full, the pressure increases and the pump turns off.

In a ro system, water has to go down the drain in order for it to work. Clean water gets in the reservoir, and the waste water down the drain. But once the reservoir is full, there is no point in wasting any more water. So what I did was to add a solenoid, an electrovalve, on the waste water tube. It cost me about 5-10 euros (over a year now, can't remeber the exact ammount). I made sure the solenoid worked at the same voltage as the electric pump, and placed them in paralell. This way, the valve opens only when the pump is working until the tank is full. When the pump turns off, the valve closes and no more water goes to waste, and the sediment and carbon filters aren't uselessly worn out.

There is one thing that you might have to keep in mind, and that is that, while the system is not in use, the water inside the system isn't running becuase the waste water solenoid is closed, and may be a potential risk as microscopic life may proliferate during long peroids of time. The water in my area is pretty well clorinated, and, I am still alive. And we do tend to use the content of, at least, one full reservoir a day.

Hope this is of any help to anybody.