Thread: A few RO questions

TomD is offline Junior Member

Default A few RO questions

1. Which type of technology is best; the standard filter type like the HAGUE or the batton type like the SQC Series.

2. How long does a RO membrane last (typical). I've 1 1/2 years. I've also heard 5 years.

3 What is a good TDS PPM reading out of an RO filter?

Thanks

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

[QUOTE=TomD]1. Which type of technology is best; the standard filter type like the HAGUE or the batton type like the SQC Series.
    Do you mean standard: that is--regular-type filters placed in a generic-sized sump (Hague) and a proprietary-type like the SQC (WaterFactory)

With generic types, you can find filters elsewhere and even upgrade the elements to take out other minerals for specialization in treating water (Arsenic, Nitrates, etc.). But you need to sanitize the sumps each time and make sure o-rings are in good shape. Not too difficult but many ignore these and other aspects in maintaining an RO.

Proprietary units are specially designed to take their filters but may be better in overall water quality and longevity. Very often no special tools are needed and filters are factory sealed to provide highest quality in replacements.

2. How long does a RO membrane last (typical). I've 1 1/2 years. I've also heard 5 years.
    If soft, iron-free water enters the RO, membranes can last many years. Most RO mfg'ers give only a one-year warranty mainly due to the fact they have no say on how their membranes are set up and the quality of the feed water.

3 What is a good TDS PPM reading out of an RO filter?
    This depends on the feed water's TDS, temperature, and incoming pressure. NSF findings are set on 77F at 60psi and a standard range of TDS. Most homes have a colder water feed often at pressure and a wide variety of TDS values.

Adding a membrane booster pump to increase influent pressure and you will see higher production and longer membrane life. Kinetico makes ROs with an automatic membrane flushing system which gives their warranties up to ten years on the membrane. They also come with a built-in membrane pump (non-electric).

But typically, you want a 92-98% rejection rate. Get e TDS meter to montor these drops.

Of the two choice, I would take the Hague RO if it coes with their standard booster pump.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Thanks