Thread: Kinetico GX question

corrie74 is offline Junior Member

Default Kinetico GX question

I just purchased a home that came with a Kinetico GX system. The owners had removed the system and then realized that it was supposed to convey with the home, so they placed it back under the sink without hooking it up (don't get me started on them, grrrrr). I think I can figure out how to hook it up but I am wondering if I should bother. From what I am reading it will be quite expensive to replace filters every year...$100+? Is there any less expensive filters option? I was also reading that we would need to sanitize it if we changed filters. How do you go about that?

Anyway, just looking for advice as to whether or not we should re-install or go with something completely new.

Thanks!

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

How many people in your house? Not sure why you would have to change the filters every 'year' as that unit has a metered system. Is the tank white or black? Not sure where you heard that you need to sanitize it. In fact, that is a prime feature that you don't need to sanitize it for filter changes as you would with spin-off filter types.

You have one of the finest ROs on the market--for free. I would reconnect it. It has a few uniques features that can provide great water for a long time. Do you have a softener? Are you on city or well water?

Andy Christensen, CWS-II
    Last edited by Andy CWS; 06-27-2010 at 05:50 AM.

Thanks for the reply Andy. I read something in an online GX manual about purchasing a sanitation kit from Kinetico if you choose to change the filters on your own. It also said it recommended filter changes yearly....I'll look for the link. There are 8 members of our family, 2 adults and 6 kids. The unit has a white tank and was newly installed in 2003.

Yes the house also has a Kinetico softener Model 60 manufactured in 2003. There is also an additional dechlorinator attached to it.

Both units were unattached, removed from the property, and then placed back in the home before closing. They still have water in the tanks that has probably sat in there for 2 months. Do I need to do anything with that before firing them back up?

Thanks for the reassurance. I guess I was just reading the online forums and many people seem to not think highly of Kinetico because of the proprietary products you have to purchase for maintenance and that service on them is expensive. I was excited to see them, but after reading I was unsure. Thank you so much!

[QUOTE=corrie74]Thanks for the reply Andy. I read something in an online GX manual about purchasing a sanitation kit from Kinetico if you choose to change the filters on your own. It also said it recommended filter changes yearly....I'll look for the link. There are 8 members of our family, 2 adults and 6 kids. The unit has a white tank and was newly installed in 2003.
    There is a sanitization process for changing the membrane, but not filters.

Some people change filters yearly as a matter of habit. This unit meters water and at 500 gallons. At that point the system shuts down preventing thise who procrastinate and let filter changes go for many years, in some cases.

Yes the house also has a Kinetico softener Model 60 manufactured in 2003. There is also an additional dechlorinator attached to it.
    What kind of dechloriantion filter (size) do you have? If the dechlorinator has been manitained, the softener should be in excellent condition.

Both units were unattached, removed from the property, and then placed back in the home before closing. They still have water in the tanks that has probably sat in there for 2 months. Do I need to do anything with that before firing them back up?
    In general, no. just makes sure the ins and the outs are right.

Thanks for the reassurance. I guess I was just reading the online forums and many people seem to not think highly of Kinetico because of the proprietary products you have to purchase for maintenance and that service on them is expensive. I was excited to see them, but after reading I was unsure. Thank you so much!
    The only upgrade I would recommend is an additional (or larger) tank for the RO to provide moe volume when needed. I can help you get it fired up for you when you get to that point.

Andy Christensen

Thanks for the great information. It is so helpful

The dechlorinator is Kinetico 8x40. What type of maintenance needs to be performed on those? We have no records of any maintenance on the system.

I forgot to mention we are on city water, in Peoria, Arizona.

Quote Originally Posted by corrie74
    Thanks for the great information. It is so helpful

The dechlorinator is Kinetico 8x40. What type of maintenance needs to be performed on those? We have no records of any maintenance on the system.
    These ned to be rebedded when they no longer remove chlorine. A simple pool test kit will indicate whether it is wrking or not. This is something you can do yourself.

Andy, if you have time I could use your expertise again. I have installed the Kinetico GX and can't get it to work right! When I turn the faucet on, I get a quick spurt of water and then just a drizzle. When I shut the faucet off, I hear the motor run for about the same amount of time as the quick spurt (maybe 1 second). I have spent waaaaay too much time trying to figure this out and I am coming up empty. A few things I have tried and noted:

1. Inspected bladder inside of tank- appears to be fine, inside of tank is dry.
    2. Added 7 psi of pressure to empty tank. Tank fills (I think all of the way) and pressure is at about 34psi.
    3. Tank maintains pressure fine.
    4. Puremomter is about halfway in the blue so I am guessing that the filters are okay.

What other areas should I check, and what tests can I run?

Thank you!

You seemed to have been very thorough in your check list. Howe heavy is your tank? Get bath sacle and weight it. Let me know.

Or the final carbon filter has an airlock in it some how. Remove it and fill it with water slowly. Turn ir upside down a couple of times slowly and see if any air comes out. Replace it and try again.

Andy

I will weigh it tonight, but it certainly doesn't seem too heavy.

Before removing the carbon filter will the system need to be depressurized? Will it be easy to identify the carbon filter?

Thanks.

If your system has the black cowling/cover on top, the carbon filter will the one on the right; near the blue metering pin. Your tank is white though, right? If you can take a picture, that would help. Kinetico has made a few modifications through the years.

Andy

Hi Andy!

After many months of frustration over the Kinetico reverse osmosis system, I finally had Kinetico check it out. The said that it all looks great, but that the tank will not hold pressure. Initially it does, but then it slowly leaks out. A new tank will be $210+ tax. Do you have a suitable replacement tank for our system? Thanks!

You should have 8-10psi with the tank empty. You may have a leaky valve or o-ring at the top of the tank. Put some more air in the valve and apply some soapy water to see if bubbles form. Do the same for the top where the cap is. If could also be that the bladder has a small leak in it, too. Do the soap first and get back.

Andy
    Last edited by Andy CWS; 01-20-2011 at 07:14 PM.

Kinetico still has the unit, so I can't test it. They are telling me I need a tank and I am just trying to decide if i should go ahead with it. They are located an hour away, so picking it up to test things just to find out I do need to buy a tank from them would be a little too inconvenient. I guess I am prepared to buy one, but thought you might have a better price for something similar. Thanks

Sent you a PM.

Soaking is offline Junior Member

Default Kinetico Plus-GX Membrane Assembly Replacement

I too have a Plus-GX system (1999 install) that we observed in 2010 the typical slow flow at faucet. We replaced the pre and post filters as normal thinking this was the issue, but continued to get slow flow. Kinetico service guy visited and said we needed new membrane (~$200.00). After reading the threads on the forum I'm now thinking maybe we have a storage tank (standard-white) or bladder issue. As I recall the service guy did not seem to remove anything from the system at the time.
    Kinetico says the membrane alone is ~$200, but there is a sub-assembly component that is generally replaced at the same time that he says is ~$260 that they recommend be changed at the same time. In addition they say replacement of the membrane requires a special wrench, and that Kinetico does not sell the wrenches to the public, but rather they want their service techs to perform the task for ~$140. All total, ~$600.00 to get the system up again. I'm curious to know if the membrane is likely the cause of the slow flow. If so, does the replacement really require the special tool, or is it something a mechanically-inclined homeowner can perform successfully?
    I've remoevd the GX manifold from the sink and taken the 2- new pre/post filters off. I removed the membrane cartridge from the manifold and see a 1/4" hex socket at the bottom. Could this be the sepcial wrench? Not sure how this cartridge/membrane assembly is put together. Is there a source for such info? Anyone have info on what's required for the replacement process?
    Thanks.

pawaterguy is offline Senior Member

If you're getting flow then I doubt the subassembly is bad. When I've seen issues with them there has been no flow off the membrane due tot eh swelling issue of the subassembly. I'd check the tank and if the TDS is high coming off the membrane then replace it regardless. If I read that right you have an air charged tank? Drain it down and then check your pressure when it's empty. Also, lift it and see if it still has water in it after it stops giving water. If you hear sloshing around and it's heavy then the bladder is shot and the tank needs to be replaced.
    The special wrench is a set of 2 actually. I carry them. One fits on top the membrane and on fits around it to separate them. The main cylinder unthreads from the "head" where the connections are made. Just watch the o-ring at the top. It slides around when you open it up and you need to get it back up into position before refitting things together.

Thanks. Yes, it is the "standard", air-charged tank. The unit has been dormant for awhile so I'm sure the tank is empty/dry of any water. So I'll need to re-install the system and verify the pressure is ~7.5 psi and see how it performs and check the TDS. If the "membrane" itself is ultimately found to be bad, we'll replace it. What is the "sub-assembly" (~$260) that Kinetico suggested replacing with the RO-membrane? Is it the black cartridge outer-shell and head piece (female connections)? What's actually inside the outer-shell that attaches to the manifold other than a RO-membrane?
    The special tool set sounds like it's tailored to the cartridge. With the special tool set I suppose the homeowner can replace the RO-membrane alone. Is it likely that early on Kinetico sold the tool sets also, but later discontinued? Any 3rd party access?

pawaterguy is offline Senior Member

Not sure about third party cuz I've never had to look for them. I was supplied them through my company. I wouldn't spend much money on them due to the few times you'll ever need them. Granted, they are a specialized thing that makes them priceless when you actually DO need them...but unless you can get them on e-bay or somewhere like that at a cheap price I wouldn't recommend owning them.

Pawaterguy I'll send a PM.