Thread: Disadvantages of RO water filter

Default Disadvantages of RO water filter

Hello friends,

Here are few disadvantages of using RO water filter

# The reverse osmosis water filter literally filters the water of everything. The filtering is not limited to impurities, it filters out minerals as well. These minerals are actually essential to the health of your body. You can do without the impurities but your body needs the minerals to thrive.

# Imagine drinking water everyday, minus the minerals. You may be drinking lots of water and under the impression that you are hydrating yourself really well, until you find out how much you have been missing on every time you drink; the all essential minerals.

So be careful while choosing water filter..!!

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

[QUOTE=Water Filtration FL]Hello friends,

Here are few disadvantages of using RO water filter

# The reverse osmosis water filter literally filters the water of everything. The filtering is not limited to impurities, it filters out minerals as well. These minerals are actually essential to the health of your body. You can do without the impurities but your body needs the minerals to thrive.
    Sorry. I would have to disagree with you on that notion. That is the old scare tactic that the so-called "rock-water" salesmen use to get people to buy their special brands of water treatment equipment.

Water should be a transporter of nutrients (via digestion and distribution) and never a supplier. Put that much effort in improving your diet and stop eating junk food with MSG and HFCS and one would be much better off.

Besides, to gain "enough" nutrients from water you would need to drinking hundreds and hundreds of gallons of water which would be fatal. And what would be 'enough', say calcium, in your water? 2mg, 200mg or 20,000mg. How can you manage that? Again, depend on your diet (and some say, suppliments) for nutrition.

# Imagine drinking water everyday, minus the minerals. You may be drinking lots of water and under the impression that you are hydrating yourself really well, until you find out how much you have been missing on every time you drink; the all essential minerals.
    So, which minerals (and don't forget the metals and salts) are we talking about here? Sulfates, nitrates, arsenic, copper, cadmium, and so on? Which ones are beneficial and which are carcinogenic?

I would rather attain water purity as much as possible and then eat well (smart), than to depend on some weird social science and psuedo-sales approach by 'guessing' that my water is providing the essentials to life.

It's very hard for me to follow that line of thinking. And there are ways to replace "good" minerals in your water if that notion were really to be a focus point.

So be careful while choosing water filter..!!
    Yes, I would agree with you here

OldBaldy is offline Junior Member

But see this World Health Organization article:

http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_...ineralized.pdf

TomD is offline Junior Member

I wonder how healthy the minerals are after they have been suspended in chlorine and floride?

I think it is better to filter out all the crap and get your minerals from supplements or remineralize your water with few mineral drops such as Contrace.

OldBaldy is offline Junior Member

Do you have a link to Contrace? Where do you get it? Do you have to add it to every glass of water or can you get it in the RO water coming out of the faucet?

Zone is offline Junior Member

that was a good read.... makes ya wonder....

I use RO at home and It is provided for us at work...

Is there really a conclusion to this argument of RO is good or bad?
    Last edited by Zone; 07-06-2010 at 03:09 AM.

TomD is offline Junior Member

Sorry the name is Concentrace. It is mineral drops. Here is the page:

http://www.traceminerals.com

Gary Slusser is offline Banned

I suggest y'all look up how much water you must drink to be able to get any benefits from the minerals in the water.

We get something like 99%+ of our minerals from our food, not water.

Chris50 is offline Junior Member

Good idea about adding the minerals back. The water company adds it in too.

Question: What about the concern of leaching chemicals from the rubber in the RO tanks? The WHO article states soft water is highly unstable and leaches components from the hoses, rings, pipes and anything else that the final water comes into contact with. (Osmosis at work)

It also bring concern about bacteria growth in the tanks. After all, that water does not have the chlorine to kill bacteria, and the tank is not normally completely emptied before new water is added. So some of the tank water can be sitting there for over a year?

pawaterguy is offline Senior Member

I've run into a misconception over the years about calcium in water. Many people don't discern between it (insolubale) and the soluble calcium in milk. The calcium in hard water is from limestone rock. You can suck on a limestone all day long and your body gets nothing useful from it. I run into alot with older folks worried about their multivitamin and if soft water will require them to use more calcium supplements. It's very common and should be addressed as soon as the salesman notices the concern. Also, I've never run into a problem with bacteria as long as you're sanitizing your system with each filter change...and not going past a year on a set of filters regardless which type of RO you have.