Thread: desalinator

godspock is offline Junior Member

Default desalinator

Hey, I'm not too sure if this it the right place for me, but ....
    I recently put together a desalinator. I would like to know if anyone out there is familiar enough with them to know if it's OK or not to reuse the reject water. so rather than letting it go down the hill, is it ok to plumb back to the source container ?
    Bill

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by godspock
    Hey, I'm not too sure if this it the right place for me, but ....
    I recently put together a desalinator. I would like to know if anyone out there is familiar enough with them to know if it's OK or not to reuse the reject water. so rather than letting it go down the hill, is it ok to plumb back to the source container ?
    Bill
    *One of the biggest problems with processing water from salt water, brackish water or other salination sources is the elimination of the concentrate water (waste). One way to solve this problem is the recirculation of RO water concentrate (RRO). Here a part of the final concentrate is re-introduced to the source water as to obtain a high concentration ratios at a relatively low applied pressure.

The recirculated stream flows in the permeate side in counter-current reducing the osmotic pressure difference, which is the driving force for solute transport. In this way, a low pressure is needed to establish the water flux. In this work a model of the system is used to evaluate the efficiency and to determine the situations where it can be preferable compared to other configurations or unit operations.

*J. M. Gozálvez, , J. Lora, J. A. Mendoza and M. Sancho

Depending on many factors, RRO may be beneficial or may involve unreasonable expense and maintenance. Without knowing more details of your actual situation (including but not limited to source water conditions, flow rates, daily volume, membrane size, incoming pressure, pretreatment, final use, available space), it would be impossible to suggest more. In short, yes, it can be done.

Try to provide more details on your actual application.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II