Thread: R/O Unit Filter Troubleshooting Help

johnvickib is offline Junior Member

Default R/O Unit Filter Troubleshooting Help

I have a Hydrotech reverse osmosis unit that I bought in 2000 (and has great tasting water). It has 4 filters, (1 pre and 1 post carbon filter, a sediment filter, and a R/O membrane). It also has a pushbutton actuated SmartTap water quality monitor that turns yellow when the membrane is depleted.
    I have always changed the filters and sanitized, but not changed the membrane since the light was never yellow.
    My problems started when I purchased a membrane and filters in 2005 but didn't put them in until 2007, (I went by the unit instructions on cleaning, sanitizing, and cartridge replacement, also dumping the first tank). When finished, the monitor light was yellow and the water didn't taste good. I finally checked the membrane and it was coming apart (there were little clear beads in bottom of housing). I then realized that I had bought those filters 2 years before.
    SO, I went and bought all new filters and a membrane again. I made sure all beads were out of the housings, cleaned and sanitized the system, put filters in, and flushed the first tank. The light was still yellow and the water tasted bad (like drinking water with dried milk in bottom of glass). I then bought a new tank since I thought that was all that could be left that might be bad and I had noticed some rust on the outside of the tank (but it held pressure okay). The water still tastes bad and the yellow light is still on.

It looks to me like I need to get new filters again (I bought the other ones from a plumbing supply house and the membrane wasn't ?refrigerated? so I would buy them through filtersfast.com this time). I realize I messed up by putting an old membrane in but I thought I replaced anything that could be bad. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by johnvickib; 04-23-2007 at 10:35 PM.

Roxanne is offline Senior Member

Post Answers...

Quote Originally Posted by johnvickib
    I have a Hydrotech reverse osmosis unit that I bought in 2000 (and has great tasting water). It has 4 filters, (1 pre and 1 post carbon filter, a sediment filter, and a R/O membrane). It also has a pushbutton actuated SmartTap water quality monitor that turns yellow when the membrane is depleted.
    I have always changed the filters and sanitized, but not changed the membrane since the light was never yellow.
    My problems started when I purchased a membrane and filters in 2005 but didn't put them in until 2007, (I went by the unit instructions on cleaning, sanitizing, and cartridge replacement, also dumping the first tank). When finished, the monitor light was yellow and the water didn't taste good. I finally checked the membrane and it was coming apart (there were little clear beads in bottom of housing). I then realized that I had bought those filters 2 years before.
    SO, I went and bought all new filters and a membrane again. I made sure all beads were out of the housings, cleaned and sanitized the system, put filters in, and flushed the first tank. The light was still yellow and the water tasted bad (like drinking water with dried milk in bottom of glass). I then bought a new tank since I thought that was all that could be left that might be bad and I had noticed some rust on the outside of the tank (but it held pressure okay). The water still tastes bad and the yellow light is still on.

It looks to me like I need to get new filters again (I bought the other ones from a plumbing supply house and the membrane wasn't ?refrigerated? so I would buy them through filtersfast.com this time). I realize I messed up by putting an old membrane in but I thought I replaced anything that could be bad. Any suggestions?
    Hi johnvickib,

I contacted someone at Hydrotech and asked them about this. This was the response:

The filters/membrane are unique to Hydrotech. I question whether the filters purchased from the plumbing supply house were correct or authentic. I suggest replace all the filters & membrane. Sanitize the unit, drain the tank and complete system 2 times. This should work.

Hope this helps!
    Roxanne Crawford
    FiltersFast
    www.filtersfast.com
    866-438-3458

Thanks Roxanne. I have the new filters on the way from filtersfast and will change everything out again. I am sure it will work this time. I will post a reply when I get it changed and cycle through a couple of tanks of water.

Well, I put the new filters in and the monitor light is still yellow. I found an in-depth R/O unit troubleshooting guide and it says that I need a new "waste flow control" valve. The key symptom for that is that I don't hear the waste water going to the drain like I used to. When this valve is changed, the unit should be able to discharge the water and the monitor light should be green. This is the first time I have had to work on a R/O unit so I am learning the hard way.
    Last edited by johnvickib; 04-30-2007 at 04:57 PM.

Smile

I received the "waste flow control" and put it on, system is working great. It is making water, the monitor light stays green, and now I hear water going down the drain like it should. Maybe this info will help someone out sometime.

Roxanne is offline Senior Member

Default Thanks!

That's what this forum is intended for johnviciv! Thanks!
    Roxanne Crawford
    FiltersFast
    www.filtersfast.com
    866-438-3458