Thread: Kinetico K5 - List of contaminants it removes

Chris50 is offline Junior Member

Default Kinetico K5 - List of contaminants it removes

I'm considering buying the Kinetico K5 and have asked the Kinetico sales guy twice to give me a list of the contaminants they claim to remove. He has been avoid giving it to me, changing the topic, saying that it removes over 500 items - it's too much to list, ie. What's going on here? If I'm going to spend at least $2K on something, I want know what it's going to do for me.
    Do they not have it? Can they not claim any of it? I can't even find it online? Anybody know where I can find this info. Almost ready to move on if the sales guy cannot be honest and forthright.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Chris50
    I'm considering buying the Kinetico K5 and have asked the Kinetico sales guy twice to give me a list of the contaminants they claim to remove. He has been avoid giving it to me, changing the topic, saying that it removes over 500 items - it's too much to list, ie. What's going on here? If I'm going to spend at least $2K on something, I want know what it's going to do for me.
    Do they not have it? Can they not claim any of it? I can't even find it online? Anybody know where I can find this info. Almost ready to move on if the sales guy cannot be honest and forthright.
    A membrane can remove more than a "thousand" things. I don't think that is really the point you are trying to make, is it? Wouldn't it be more important to know what it is you want removed and ask about it. What good is it to know that it removes compounds, etc., that are not in your water?

What an RO system can remove and what it has been 'certified' to remove is very different. It is also important to understand with membranes cannot do, such as with sulfur gas.

Are you able to understand a long list of barely pronouncible chemical compounds?

Did the salesman use a computer during his presentation? Anyway, the sales rep should be able to demonstrate, illustrate or document whatever he says during a presentation. If not, then regard it as either an opinion or hype.

Try this site:
    http://nsf.org/Certified/dwtu/listin...o&Program=DWTU

kinetico also has a virus/bacteri filter not found on other ROs tested at 2000 gallons to remove log7 (99.99999) bacteria and log4 (99.99) virus.

Where are you located? Did they recommend a softener as pretreatment to the RO? What other features did he mention about the K5?

Chris50 is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the link. Very helpful. Are you a Kinetico rep?

Yes, we do understand the "long list of barely pronouncible chemical compounds". But I wonder if the salesman doesn't.

No, he didn't use a computer or document what it can remove, except it's approved by UL etc and he contiually stated that it's rated number one by Consumer Reports and Consumer Digest. And then there's something about Bob Villa.

We are in MD. Also looking at the softener. Can the K5 put back calcium and magnesium? And what prevent bacteria growth and buildup in the tanks? After all, if the water in the tanks is never fully emptied, if bacteria finds it way in, it can continue to grow for the whole length of time the water stays in the tanks and can be dangerous.

It sounds like you have done some research on the type of reverse osmosis systems. However, there a number of new reverse osmosis systems[/URL] available that could be worth looking into.

Regarding what reverse osmosis removes, there is good information available that explains about reverse osmosis[/URL] and breaks down what is removed and how it works.
    Last edited by Andy CWS; 09-14-2010 at 03:33 PM.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Chris50
    Thanks for the link. Very helpful. Are you a Kinetico rep?

Yes, we do understand the "long list of barely pronouncible chemical compounds". But I wonder if the salesman doesn't.

No, he didn't use a computer or document what it can remove, except it's approved by UL etc and he contiually stated that it's rated number one by Consumer Reports and Consumer Digest. And then there's something about Bob Villa.

We are in MD. Also looking at the softener. Can the K5 put back calcium and magnesium? And what prevent bacteria growth and buildup in the tanks? After all, if the water in the tanks is never fully emptied, if bacteria finds it way in, it can continue to grow for the whole length of time the water stays in the tanks and can be dangerous.
    I can't answer exactly why or why not someone does something. Prudent and professional people in many trades strive to be accurate and informative. That doesn't detract from the quality of the product but it can hurt sales and service.

I find the UL claim to be questionable because Kinetico is non-electric. Are you sure about that? The only UL certifications that Kinetico has are on industrial equipment. There are NSF, BioLab, and WQA certifications, though.

There are select models (not all) that are 'recommended' by Consumer Reports and Digest, but I don't believe they have a "Number One" rating.

I am aware that Bob Villa wanted to be Kinetico's spokesperson and heard that he has Kinetico in his Florida and Mass. homes (even though he was associated with Sears). Dean Johnson from HomeTime is the official spokesman and he presents Kinetico on his show.

Yes, Kinetico has a Mineral Plus cartridge that reintroduces calcium and magnesium back into the water for nutrient purposes. It slightly raises pH and makes water taste like 'hard' water. I don't care personally for the taste.

So you are in MD. I know Randy, Rich and Ken. Ring a bell? I think Ken has recently left that office.

No RO has a preventative means to keep organics out of the tank by way of UV light or some chemical sanitation. That is why a post carbon filter is used and must be serviced at recommended times and/or usage. The K5 has a 500 gallon limit but many customers change them once a year anyway.

Tanks can be sanitized if they can be disassembled. Steel tanks generally cannot be taken apart. I have never known any organics found in tanks that are pathogenic, toxic or otherwise dangerous. That is why proper maintenance is essential.

Yes, I work with Kinetico products along with other makers.