Thread: RO contamination?

TomD is offline Junior Member

Default RO contamination?

I have a Hague H3000 RO system. It is 14 years old. I last had it serviced in May. New filters including RO membrane. It still has the original tank.

Fast forward to present. About a eek ago, my cat started throwing up. I took her to the vet and he diagnosed a bacterial infection (analysis of stool sample). A couple of days ago I had some cramping in my intestines that has pretty much subsided. I started wondering if my cat's infection and my issue were related to water from the RO system.

I bought a bacteria test kit. The instructions said that the water in the test bottle would initially be purple then turn to yellow (after 48 hours) if bacteria is present. Well when I put the RO water in the bottle, it didn't turn purple. It turned a redish brown. I took another sample of water from my faucet ( before the RO) and it turned purple as per the directions. I don't know if the color difference is due to RO water vs tap water.

I would appreciate comments and recommendations on the above. Does anyone have experience with contamination of an RO system and what are your thoughs on my situation and the best way to determine if my RO is contaminated.

Thanks

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Do you have a steel tank?

TomD is offline Junior Member

Yes, I have a steel tank. It's a Hague.
    Last edited by TomD; 09-22-2010 at 07:05 AM.

Tanks will develop organic contaminants in the tank. that is the primary reason for post carbon filters. Unfortunately, these are very difficult to sanitize. Replacing the tank with a plastic that can be disassembled can be sanitized.

Also, always sanitize the filter housings. I believe that Hague unit uses replacement cartridges but same sumps. You may need to replace lines as well. It can be rescued but it may take extensive measures.

Angel123 is offline Junior Member

Smile Reverse Osmosis: diarrhea and stomach pain.

Quote Originally Posted by TomD
    I have a Hague H3000 RO system. It is 14 years old. I last had it serviced in May. New filters including RO membrane. It still has the original tank.

Fast forward to present. About a eek ago, my cat started throwing up. I took her to the vet and he diagnosed a bacterial infection (analysis of stool sample). A couple of days ago I had some cramping in my intestines that has pretty much subsided. I started wondering if my cat's infection and my issue were related to water from the RO system.

I bought a bacteria test kit. The instructions said that the water in the test bottle would initially be purple then turn to yellow (after 48 hours) if bacteria is present. Well when I put the RO water in the bottle, it didn't turn purple. It turned a redish brown. I took another sample of water from my faucet ( before the RO) and it turned purple as per the directions. I don't know if the color difference is due to RO water vs tap water.

I would appreciate comments and recommendations on the above. Does anyone have experience with contamination of an RO system and what are your thoughs on my situation and the best way to determine if my RO is contaminated.

Thanks

I have the same problem. I just bought a Reverse Osmosis Water Filter, and I am experiencing diarrhea and stomach pain.

HELP.... I am desperate.

If your RO is properly set up and working, there is nothing that can cause the physicl ailments that your are describing. ROs remove contaminants from water, not inject them inot water.

I would suspect there is something else you consummed or a 'bug' that you picked up somewhere. There can be some organic matter in the tank but that should be removed by the post carbon filter.

I have seen ROs added to exsisting plumbing, e.g., faucets, that were not clean.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

PuROMax is offline Junior Member

One thing may be the bacteria. I would have my water tested to see if you have any in the feed steam. Even if you are on city or county water, mine did. Reverse osmosis will not remove 100% of bacteria. The WQA says that if you want to tell consumers that the water is bacteria free you must have a redundant system, such as a UV after the R/O. If your water has some bacteria in it and it gets past the membrane it will bread in the tank and carbon post filter. Check your water