Thread: Kinetico membrane type?

Chris50 is offline Junior Member

Default Kinetico membrane type?

Does anyone know what type of membrane the Kinetico K-5 RO uses?
    And what the lining of the storage tank is made of?

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Chris50
    Does anyone know what type of membrane the Kinetico K-5 RO uses?
    And what the lining of the storage tank is made of?
    It uses a NSF certified 75-gallon per day TFC membrane and the liner is made of rubber.

Any idea what the rubber is made of or where we can find this information?

No, I have no idea of the chemical compounds that make the rubber bladder. It is certified by the NSF to be safe for use. What issues do you have that causes these quiries?

Can you explain what does the NSF certification mean? We are concerned about leaching of toxin compounds from the rubber bladder.

Also, I read that Amtrol tanks are the best? can they be used with the Kinetico system? any idea on their costs?
    Last edited by Chris50; 10-21-2010 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris50
    Can you explain what does the NSF certification mean? We are concerned about leaching of toxin compounds from the rubber bladder.

Also, I read that Amtrol tanks are the best? can they be used with the Kinetico system? any idea on their costs?
    NFS is a third-party, independent testing and validating organization that creates and follws strick protocols and testing procedures on water equipment submitted by manufactures for review, certification and rejection.
    http://nsf.org/

No RO company that has certified systems would ever produce a bladder that will impart harmful elements. Amtrol tanks are fine and probably considered best by its manufacture, which is understood. You can adapt a K5 with an Armtrol tank but that would defeat the purpose of the K5 tank which on a comnpletely different principle (pnuematic vs hydraulic). You would be reducing its flow rate, its pressure, its refill time and most importantly, its total volume by nearly 60%.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

great, interesting things to consider.

Do you know if all of the components of the K-5 is NSF certified or only some, like the tubes, other cartridges, like the mineral cartridges, etc?

pawaterguy is offline Senior Member

I may be wrong here and correct me if it's so...but everything is NSF certified on teh unit. The only time this changes (currently, though they are working on getting the WOW tank certified) is when you use the Bactieria cartidge. Then, you need to use an air charge tank to have certification. They're close to getting the WOW tank cert'ed but are not there yet. It has to do with the possibility of cross contamination in the tank I think...but I forget the details.