Thread: Upgraded to Kinetico K5 - few questions

AlexF is offline Junior Member

Default Upgraded to Kinetico K5 - few questions

Hello, just had K5 installed ( had VX before and it needed filter change, RO membrane and had tank issues, so decided on K5 instead ).
    I am very impressed with production and pressure from the faucet. I do have few questions:
    1. My dealer did not sanitize the system - said that they never do that with city water. I did not have VX santitized either in the past - no noticable issues over the years, but I am concerned after reading the upgrade manual.
    2. Manual calls for a flow suppressor going to yellow collet - again dealer did not install one. What does it do and do I need it?
    3. There is a Y going to icemaker - with a new system, there appears to be a pulsing noise when using ice water - no such noise when using regular RO faucet and the old system did not do it. Is this due to increased water production of the new unit?
    4, The drain noise is much louder compared to VX - I guess the system is faster and drains more noisely. Is there a way to quiet it down? I saw Echo-Tech drain adapters - do they work for noise? Their website also claims that drain saddles are against plumbing code in all 50 states - seems impossible as many manufacturers include saddle drains with their kits.

Thank you for reading my long post,

Alex

pawaterguy is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AlexF
    Hello, just had K5 installed ( had VX before and it needed filter change, RO membrane and had tank issues, so decided on K5 instead ).
    I am very impressed with production and pressure from the faucet. I do have few questions:
    1. My dealer did not sanitize the system - said that they never do that with city water. I did not have VX santitized either in the past - no noticable issues over the years, but I am concerned after reading the upgrade manual.
    2. Manual calls for a flow suppressor going to yellow collet - again dealer did not install one. What does it do and do I need it?
    3. There is a Y going to icemaker - with a new system, there appears to be a pulsing noise when using ice water - no such noise when using regular RO faucet and the old system did not do it. Is this due to increased water production of the new unit?
    4, The drain noise is much louder compared to VX - I guess the system is faster and drains more noisely. Is there a way to quiet it down? I saw Echo-Tech drain adapters - do they work for noise? Their website also claims that drain saddles are against plumbing code in all 50 states - seems impossible as many manufacturers include saddle drains with their kits.

Thank you for reading my long post,

Alex

The system should be sanitized every filter change. The chlorine from the town water is removed (if they're using the right pre-filter ((chlorine in town water will kill the membrane long before it should die))). This helps to strip down the membrane and tank bladder and extends unit life and maintains a "healthy" ro system.
    I've never seen anything about a flow restrictor on the yellow line and have never installed one either. I'll have to check that one out to see what you're reading.
    There is a booster tank kit that should be installed for the ice maker to insure enough water gets into the ice maker when it calls for water. Runs about $100 I think. It's just a small booster tank with a 10lb charge and a check valve to make sure it's only pushing into the ice maker.
    The drain noise is probably normal. Unless it's running 24/7 and has a strong flow...then something is wrong with the unit. You can drill and tap right into the drain line if you really want to...but then you better install an air gap on the faucet itself which isn't a great idea as far as issues down the road go. A drain trap with an air gap is always the best way to go IMO...but every once in a while due to the situation with the plumbing it may be impossible. Hope that helps. Ask away if you have any more ???'s.