Thread: PH of RO water

hal401 is offline Junior Member

Default PH of RO water

I recently had hydrotech RO (the current 1240 M model) system installed it pulls water after the water softener; and also purchased a TDS and PH meter.

It doesn't seem to consist of any mineral cartridge that would make the water harder, yet when I measure the PH of my RO water is approx. 9.5-9.7, while my tap was is around 8.8-9.0 (about a point higher). I thought water was supposed to become more acidic that standard tap water with an RO system. The PH meter seems correct, I have calibrated it with different PH solutions per it's directions.

The RO water is running through all plastic lines. My TDS is about 7 most times. Any ideas? Is it safe to drink water in the high 9's for PH?

Thank you.

Akpsdvan is offline Senior Member

Most of the time the ph drops after a RO system and why yours is up.. going to be thinking on that for a bit.
    The TDS should be about 5% of what ever the untreated or water before RO..
    So if the water before the RO is 100 and you are getting a 7, you are where it should be.

How much water has passed through the RO ?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by hal401
    I recently had hydrotech RO (the current 1240 M model) system installed it pulls water after the water softener; and also purchased a TDS and PH meter.

It doesn't seem to consist of any mineral cartridge that would make the water harder, yet when I measure the PH of my RO water is approx. 9.5-9.7, while my tap was is around 8.8-9.0 (about a point higher). I thought water was supposed to become more acidic that standard tap water with an RO system. The PH meter seems correct, I have calibrated it with different PH solutions per it's directions.

The RO water is running through all plastic lines. My TDS is about 7 most times. Any ideas? Is it safe to drink water in the high 9's for PH?

Thank you.
    pH value of 7 is considered neutral

hal401 is offline Junior Member

Akpsdvan,

I have been using it for a few months(maybe a 2-3 gallons a day) with I think 2 full flushes at the start.
    Not sure why PH is higher than my tap...any other ideas?

Akpsdvan is offline Senior Member

Any chance that one of the lines is wrong?
    Product water has a higher TDS?

spiritofscouse is offline Junior Member

hi i received my RO yesterday and after flushing it im getting same high ph.My tap water has a ph around 8 - 8.5 and the ro water has a ph of around 9.Did you find out what the problem is?