Thread: Ro system after water softening

Arturas is offline Junior Member

Default Ro system after water softening

Hello,

I want to ask a question: could RO membrane be install after water softener without 3 mechanical prefilters? it would be cheaper and would need no service for changing mechanical filters.

Thank you.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Mechanical filters? What is your water source?

Normally membranes have either a sediment or dechlorinating filter and then a post filter designed to remove organics and other contaminants. Taking short cuts to cut costs will, in the end, cost you more and water quality will suffer. ROs are designed with specific filter arrangement for optimum results. Having no air or oil filters for your car is cheaper and easier, too. Not sure what RO you are talking about that has three filters before the membrane. Do you have a make/model?

Andy Christensen

Arturas is offline Junior Member

Thank you for the answer. I understand now: the RO system must have carbon filter for cleaning water before RO. So after water softener i think it is enought to install carbon filter and I can istall Ro membrane. Water softener before itself must have mechanical filter for not plugging main valve.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Carbon comes bvefore when on chlorinated watewr; sediemnt filter in most other cases. Yes, a softener almost always has a mechanical, electric or electronic valve to keep it working properly. There are manual and flow-through softeners, too.