Thread: Kinetico R/O Replacement Parts

MFMauceri is offline Junior Member

Default Kinetico R/O Replacement Parts

I have a Kinetico VX R/O system with an upgraded storage tank (i believe). The tank is air pressurized and the "Module Valve" is damaged. What's the best way to get a new OEM part online? My local dealer has return-call issues.

Thanks.

- Mark

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

I beleive any 3/8" ball valve (quick connect) will fit depending on where it is broken.

It's a white, hard plastic tank, with a black base. Beneath the base is a standard air pressure (tire) valve. On the top is a plastic spout with an orange stopper, but I believe it needs and input/output valve.

That's the part that needs to be found, there are no threads that I can see, os I assume the OEM part somehow secures itself to the tank.

Thoughts?

pawaterguy is offline Senior Member

generally, those tanks will have a 3/8" stem sticking up off of the tank to connect a 3/8" john guest elbow valve onto.

Ah, thank you... A hot lead.

So, I searched on "john guest elbow valve" and came upon this site page: http://www.freshwatersystems.com/c-4...-fittings.aspx

But which one?.. I am ignorant because I've never seen the actual valve and I'm flying blind. I assume the valve is some sort of inflow / outflow mechanism, as there's only one valve stem into the tank, so two hoses connect to the valve:

One to fill it with purified water to store and the other to feed to the faucet. I think.

I can't find a schematic online showing how to plumb the system, but all the fittings are labeled for the hose connections, so any insight on the exact valve (or other matters) would be much appreciated.

http://www.freshwatersystems.com/c-3...ff-valves.aspx

Towards the bottom of the page are the valves. One of those will work depending on your connection. Is there a plain stem on the tank or a threaded one? That will determine which valve to use. It's a single opening generally. The water fills (goes in) the tank when the faucet is closed. When you open the faucet the water will stop filling the tank and the water will be pushed out of the tank to the faucet via the air charge in the tank. Hope that helps.

Oh, I see. There's no thread, so that helps. The storage tank kind of creates a vacuum that fills and releases depending on which way the pressure is directed. VERY helpful, thanks! One more question... Where/how should I tap for the "drain" line to empty? Is their a special fitting needed for that?

I want to thank all the responses here as I tracked down this system stuff; doing a bit of detective work. Consumer Reports says Kinetico R/O are the best systems, bar none, with a 100 score. However, you really get what you pay for in their case, as they will bleed you for any replacement part, required maintenance, or service. My local distributor here in So Cal has yet to return my call(s).

Anyway, I have to sing the praises of: http://www.freshwatersystems.com

These folks walked me through each step of an R/O system and helped me pick the right parts, but the "case" was cracked by the operative phrase "John Guest" from a forum member here, that really got it happening.

For the record:

The Kinetico VX R/O system tank is an pressurized single-flow, 3/8" x 3/8" quick connect (qc) valve with a ball-cock shut off-- Necessary for maintaing the system. The pressure coming off the filters fill the tank, and the reverse pressure when the faucet is open, drains the tank to the faucet-- Forgive me if I now have a firm grasp on the obvious.

All best.

- Mark

I'm going to possibly blow your mind. Upgrade to the WOW tank and use the air charged tank as a supplemental storage tank. You'll definitely need someone to hook it up for you but you'll get nice steady pressure at the faucet instead of great pressure at first that dies off as you get through the tank.

pawaterguy

Let me get the first tank working, and we'll see about turbo-cahrging it. Also, if anyone has leads on Kinetico "Sanitization" kits reasonably priced, please send my way.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

I have instructions if that helps.

Oh, send them my way!.. mfmauceri@mac.com. The one I have just describes the system and what it does, but nothing on hook-up and adjustments.