Thread: DIY Instructions for changing filters? Help!

Bill the Cat is offline Junior Member

Default DIY Instructions for changing filters? Help!

I just got my Ametek CC-10, ROM-16C and P5 replacement filters for my under-the-sink reverse osmosis system.
    Does anyone know a site with a how-to instructional video so I can change the filters myself? Or written instructions? I really want to learn this!!!

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Is the ROM-16C a membrane?

Bill the Cat is offline Junior Member

Yes, the ROM-16C is a membrane. I think.

Do you have a make and model of the system? Either the filters are in sumps which spin off and filters removed/replaced, or integrated filter/housing where the whole thing needs to be replaced. Either way, make sure the tank valve is turned off as well as the source water valve.

OK, thanks. After removing the sumps, fill them with water and a couple tablespoons of bleach and let sit for an hour or so. Remove o-rings and clean separately. The membrane housing should unscrew. It may be tight. Notice how the membrane comes out and replace it with the new one.

Empty the tank of water and check air pressure. It should be between 7-9psi so get a gauge that can accurately read at those levels. Use a bicycle pump to adjust. Put it all back together and you should be set.
    Andy

ma3xxx is offline Junior Member

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I have a question on changing filters on my Kinetico K5 WOW system, and I hope someone here can help me..

In the manual, it states that I need to sanitize the system when I change the filters and to sanitize, I need to install cartridge plugs and 3/8 line plug in one of the lines. I realize that I don't have these plugs. Should these have been given to me when the system was installed? How do I get about sanitizing the system without these? Anybody has any ideas?

Also, does anybody know what is in the Kinetico sanitation kit?

I am going to call Kinetico rep tomorrow, but they are 1.5 hr away from my place and I doubt they will help me with this. I called them a few weeks ago to get the replacements filters, but they would not ship them to me.

Thanks in advance!

To simply change the filters, you don't need to sanitize unless some very unusual circumstances occurred with your incoming water. I don't understand why they won't ship filters to you. What was their response to your request?

There are some special cartridges that look like filters used for sanitation. Basically, the are empty and can be supplied with a small amount of regular bleach and remounted to the unit.

Again, we very rarely sanitize on regular filter changes. Of course you still need filters, right? Is your first filter a sediment filter or a carbon/sediment filter?

ma3xxx is offline Junior Member

Andy, thanks for the reply..

Their response was they don't ship filters out but if the tech is out to my area, they can ask him to bring the filters to me. But they don't know when the tech will be out to my area. They then refer me to another rep, which is also 1 hr away. I am actually very disappointed because when I bought the unit last year, the rep was telling me how easy it is to maintain and replace the filters etc... now I can't even get replacement filters unless I drive at least 1 hr away.

I got a friend coming in tomorrow and he's going to get the replacement filters for me form a Kinetico rep near his place...

I think I have the carbon/sediment filter because I live on city water with chlorine. That's what I am getting anyway.

I am "by the book" kind of guy. I get scared things will mess up if I don't follow exactly what the manual says.

So, no answer from the Kinetico reps closer to my place. Called another rep, 3 hrs away from my place, and was told that only a tech can sanitize the system.

I think I will just do what you suggested, i.e just replace the filters..

EDIT: Got a call back from the field tech. Said no need to sanitize esp. I am on city water. Manual has to say "sanitize" for legal purposes. Thanks again Andy!
    Last edited by ma3xxx; 07-29-2011 at 12:32 PM.

Glad to have helped. I sent you a PM as well with some additional information.

Sorry the local dealer isn't very helpful. It seems they want to get their service 'income'. Where are you located?