Thread: Kenmore Ultrafilter 150 RO System

Dave is offline Junior Member

Default Kenmore Ultrafilter 150 RO System

Hi Folks,

Our system has been working flawlessly for years and years, up until now. Here's the set of problems we've fixed, and how we have fixed them. However, the tank is not getting filled at all - even after hours and hours. Still bone dry empty.

First two issues we had to correct:
    1) water was leaking from the "shutoff assembly" - we replaced that assembly (including the diaphragm, plunger, o-ring, spring, ball, etc). Fixed that leak.
    2) system was not producing much product water, maybe a cup of water would come out the faucet - we checked the tank pressure PSI and water came out the schrader PSI pressure valve on the tank - that told us the tank bladder or diaphragm was broken - even pumping up the tank with more air pressure - we could hear the whooshing noise, and more water our the air value - which should be bone dry. - So we replaced the tank - brand new tank.

System should be good to go - put in new filters and RO cartridge.

After hours (days), the tank is still empty. No water in the tank.

Could there be a further problem with the shutoff assembly? What do you think we should try next?

Thanks
    -Dave

pawaterguy is offline Senior Member

Is there a cap tube on the drain line? I'm not familiar with the Kenmore specifically, but alot of the box store RO's will have some sort of capillary tube in the drain line...if it breaks or gets clogged you'll not produce water. It's soemthing to check anyway. If you begin pulling filters off, where does the water stop at? Does it make it through the membrane? Lots of questions I'm afraid. It's a matter of eliminating the options to pinpoint the issue.

I'm not sure if that is a capillary tube. There indeed is a white 2" tube that converts the RED drain line from the RO cartridges unit to the Black line (really a clear tube) to the Faucet's air gap, which then goes from the faucet to the drain, as shown in page 11 of the Kenmore RO Ultrafilter 150 User Guide (L0504363.pdf). Is that tube size converter something other than just a converter? Could that be clogged?

I am willing to answer any number of questions as thoroughly as you have time for ;-) Thanks
    -Dave

Whoops! My MISTAKE! That's just a 90deg elbow bend between the RED drain and black line to faucet.

I do see this inline 2" tube between the BLUE product water from the R/O system to the faucet's water output. Wonder what that does?
    Last edited by Dave; 08-31-2011 at 04:54 PM.

pawaterguy is offline Senior Member

this is always a silly question to ask...but it must be asked. Is the tank valve open?

Yes indeed - the tank valve is open.
    I tried an experiment: I removed the yellow hose feeding the tank from the tank valve assembly while the system was "active" - water shot everywhere!
    To me, that means water under some kind of pressure is making its way to the tank. Just not filling the tank. So I too suspected the tank valve.
    My next experiment is to turn off the system, remove the valve from the top of the tank, but leave it attached to the yellow feeder hose. Run the system, open the valve and see if it simply pours into a bucket. Not sure what else to try.

We can hear and feel the air bleeder from the faucet working when the system is initially turned on (by Turn On: I mean that I open the cold water supply to the RO system and open the tank valve). Seems like it draws just enough water to fill the yellow feeder hose to the tank, and to fill the post filter cartridge.

I'll fork-over whatever research info it takes. I notice there are icons above to insert-image and insert-video.

Thanks
    -Dave

More data:

I removed the shut off valve with the yellow feeder hose from the tank - so the tank is removed from the system (and it is empty and dry).
    I enabled and turned on the cold water supply to the RO system, made sure the faucet was closed.

I opened the tank shut off valve and water started coming out, continuously. So the shutoff valve works fine.

I measured the rate of flow to the tank: 4 oz. of water per minute.
    [the exact numbers were: 8oz (one fluid cup) in 2min 4.57sec.]

So the system is producing water to the tank at 4oz per minute, but the tank won't fill.
    This replacement tank is: Amtrol RO-2.

Thanks
    -Dave

I called Amtrol and they said it was perfect that 4oz per min. was coming out - they said check the PSI pressure on the tank. It should be 5-7psi.

I checked it and it was 40psi! Well - there's yer problem!! Why would they ship me a tank pressurized like a bike tire?! 40psi!

I backed off the pressure to 10psi, and let the system run for 90min. We were able to easily get a half gallon or more of water from the system, so I am letting the now-filling-tank fill completely.

Should I back the pressure off to 7 or even 5psi? Why would they ship a tank pressurized for 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea?

-Dave

Alex is offline Senior Member

The 5 to 7 PSI is measured with an empty tank.

When water is added to the tank, it will show much higher pressure.

Thanks - tank was empty when we measured 40psi - must have been pressure left from assembly line testing or something.
    Tank is full today - in a week or so, I will empty the tank completely and remeasure and likely bring pressure back down from 10 to 5-7psi.

Thanks for all the help - forums like this really help when we're just not sure what to do.
    Best Regards
    -Dave