Thread: Kinetico Model 518 No Water

henesnarfel is offline Junior Member

Default Kinetico Model 518 No Water

I just recently purchased a house that has a Kinetico RO model 518. When I turn the shutoffs on I get no water out of the fresh water spout on the sink nor to a line running to the fridge. If you are unfamiliar with this model there is four different components.

There is a pre-filter with what looks like any normal filter inside a blue canister that goes to a black canister(which I can't open nor know what it does), a second filter which comes from the black canister which has a solid hard plastic enclosed filter inside a blue canister. The second filter is connected to the pressure tank. The pressure tank bladder is fine and had the proper pressure. From the second filter it feeds the fridge and fresh water spout on the sink.

I've removed both blue canister filters just to make sure those weren't the issue. I've figured out that the black canister is not letting water through. Is this clogged? If so can I clean it out. It looks like it has a hex screw in the bottom that could come out but not sure if I should do this. If I can't fix it is there anywhere I can get one. On the top of the canister there are some numbers of T-72 R8-6. On the bottom it has p327h0(I think).

Any help is appreciated.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

The filter on the left is a metered filter and may be exhausted and shut down not letting water through. It is a special filter and needs to be replaced with one from a Kinetico dealer.

The middle one is the membrane and needs a special tool to remove. The screw in the bottom is meant for a membrane pump so don't open it.

It is probably about 20 years old. It is repairable.

Andy Christensen
    awc222@yahoo.com

thanks for the quick response andy.

About the one metered filter. It could be an issue but I won't know until I get the black center one fixed. I removed both the pre and metered filters and put the empty canisters on to make sure that the issue was with the black one.

So how would I go about fixing the middle black one. As far as I can tell it is completely solid and doesn't look like it can be opened. What tool do I need to open it if it can indeed be opened. Where can I get a new one. I don't have any model or filter numbers that I can find that can help me find what I need. The house I bought was a foreclosure so any paperwork or papers on it are long gone.

I can provide pictures if needed.

Even with the two filter housings empty, you will not be able to just get a flow of water. Membranes produce water VERY slowly; dripping speed. Even if the membrane is bad (unless exceptionally damaged), it will still pass water through it. The tool is special with a grip that fits on the top and another that grabs the cylinder for turning.

How did you determine the holding tank was fine and the pressure was right? White color is that tank?

The pressure tank is white. When I first started working on this the pressure was only about 15. So I took the tank cap off and pulled the membrane out. No tears or leaks that I could find after filling it up while not inside the tank. Put it back in the tank and filled with water. I was only able to get the pressure up to around 60 psi (don't have a gauge yet that goes higher). I'm assuming that's enough pressure to at least get a trickle. With the pressure tank pressurized still didn't get a single drop of water from the sink faucet nor the fridge line.

I took the pressure off the tank took the 2nd filter canister off and turned the water on to the system. Nothing was coming through.

Ok, Ok, I see the problem. Waaay too much pressure. Let all the air and water out of the tank. Attach an air pump to the Schrader valve and pump it to 9psi. (nine). Close off the top and seal the cap on. Now put the RO fill tube in and see if that get water to it. Water weights about 8lbs per gallon and the tank will stop filling when about one+ gallons are in it. It should weigh about ten pounds.

By putting that much air pressure in it, you are pushing back against the membrane.

Try it and let me know.
    Andy

Ok Someone on another thread said something about they were told to put 90 to 100 psi in it, didn't sound right and thats why I only put about half that. I've emptied the pressure tank completely. filled it with roughly 9psi. I need a better gauge. I've removed both the prefilter and secondary filter just so I can get it working without worrying if the filters need replaced. I'm getting a slow drip from the black membrane filter. As of now it doesn't seem to be filling the pressure tank up. I'm finally getting water out of the tap but maybe a handful before it goes to a slow trickle. I'm going to let it sit overnight and see if the tank is full in the morning. If possible can I fill the tank with about a gallon of water and then pressurize it? How much can I put in it and what pressure after its been filled. I've attached two pictures to show the exact setup that I have. I'll let you know the results in the morning

filter.jpgpressuretank.jpg
    Last edited by henesnarfel; 10-10-2011 at 10:00 PM.

Same thing this morning. Spits out about a handful worth of water then only a trickle. Any ideas or have I still done something wrong?