Thread: A good non propietary RO system?

fordiesel69 is offline Junior Member

Default A good non propietary RO system?

With the hassle of needing to obtain parts and service only from a kinetico dealer that is over 90 miles away, I am thinking of getting a more econimical (standard) ro drinking water unit. Similar to the kinetico GX/VX system. What brand and model should I be looking for?

I have CSI - Microline in my area here. It is about 550.00 for the price, is this a decent system?

pawaterguy is offline Senior Member

I understand the issue with distance...but you have a superior system. I would learn to service it on my own before downgrading. Just a 2 cents thing. Filter changes aren't hard...actually one of the easier out there with the quarter turn feature. Just be sure to fill the filter before putting it on and you're golden. Sanitizing isn't hard either...it's just a process that takes a time or 2 to learn. If anything, since you have the VX I'd recommend upgrading to the K5. Even easier to sanitize and has the same quarter turn filter design....just redesigned over the VX to be a better built unit with less service issues. Check with the dealer to see what deal they offer for the upgrade.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by fordiesel69 View Post
    With the hassle of needing to obtain parts and service only from a kinetico dealer that is over 90 miles away, I am thinking of getting a more econimical (standard) ro drinking water unit. Similar to the kinetico GX/VX system. What brand and model should I be looking for?
    What kind of service issues have you had? Is it still under warranty? How often do you change filters? Is the tank black or white?

Andy Christensen, CWS-II
    awc222@yahoo.com

Service issues: The house was just purchased. The sanitary water system was turned off and it leaked down to 0 PSI for about a year. The boiler system had 20PSI so boiler glycol made its way to the cold water and hot water systems of the house. I am not certain if the glycol made its way to the kinetico VX. Dealer wants 350 + 90 to change RO membrane stating it needs special tools. I pulled it off in 15 seconds...... so I am uncertain of any tools. And actually 90$ labor is not bad, its the 350 that I am not happy about when other brands are like $75 at best. Glycol contamination I am being told is not grounds for warranty replacement.

Also filters can ONLY be sourced thru a dealer. My dealer is far away.