Thread: RO smell and taste problem

TomD is offline Junior Member

Default RO smell and taste problem

I have a Haque H3500. I just had my RO serviced. Now the water has a bit of a foul smell and doesn't taste right. The tech did the following. He ran a packet of disinfectant through the system. Then he replaced the PCF (prolonged contact) filter with one he repacked. He replaced the prefilter. He replaced the finishing filter with a carbon block filter instead of the GAC filter that originally came with the unit. This is frustrating. The TDS rejection is an excellent 97%. I am just venting. I guess I need to get him back here to get it right. In the meantime, I am going to do a bacteria test.

A bit more info. The smell is a slight sulfur/rotten egg smell. The best way to describe it is the water has a metallic/acidic taste.

Any opinions are appreciated.
    Last edited by TomD; 11-12-2011 at 09:46 AM.

pawaterguy is offline Senior Member

have you drained the system since the service to flush out the disinfectant?

I drained it about 7 times. The system is rejecting TDS about 96% so I assume that the problem is after the membrane. Which means it could be originating from the PCF, the tank or the carbon polishing filter. I contacted Haque service and he is coming back on Monday to fix it.

It turned out to be the carbon block post filter. When it was removed it had a strong rubber smell. It was replaced with a GAC filter (like it was supposed to be) and it took care of the odor and taste.