Thread: Kinetico Reverse Osmosis Modulator

KevinB is offline Junior Member

Default Kinetico Reverse Osmosis Modulator

I have the Kinetico Plus VX Deluxe RO system with QuickFlow tank. Tank is black with 4 hoses coming out. Installed this unit used myself about 3 years ago. Has developed a hesitation after turning on faucet. Has been getting worse, up to 3 min now. I also notice water coming out the drain line almost constantly, even when unit has not been used for hours.
    I searched posts and found suggestions that this might be the modulator on top of tank? Is this something I can replace on my own? If so,could someone explain the proceedure, what part looks loke, approximate cost?
    I have no problem fixing things myself. Have taken apart, cleaned and replaced parts on our Kinetico Softener. Just would appreciate some advice before I try to tackle this.

Thanks in advance!
    Kevin

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Kinetico has realized the issues with that particular tank set up. The newer K5 has eliminated those problems and has a very good track record to date. Normally when the modulator goes out, it is not repaired, but replaced. It is not difficult to replace as it simply unscrews from the tank.

The biggest cause of the problem is when new filters are placed and water is turned back on. It gets an airlock and it can't be released. Whenever you change filters remove the 1/4" line next to the 3/8' line on the tank and turn on the water until all the air evacuates the unit, then push the hose back in. The other way, is to fill the prefilter with water but I prefer removing the hose as it completely empties the unit of air.

The water at the faucet that decreases when opening it is normal. That is indicating that the valve on the tank is allowing household pressure to take over. Your delay, though, is far too long and water flow is too slow. Have you changed filters lately? Newer filters will increase flow and reduce delay.

Andy Christensen

Thanks for the reply,
    As for replacing the modulator, when you say " it simply unscrews from the tank' are you refering to the screws on top of the tank or does it twist off the top of the tank? If so is there a special tool required?

Thanks
    Kevin

Well, I take that back a little. Yes, it is the whole cap not just the screws. It would take an over-sized wrench (special) or very large channel locks. I have seen it turned upside down on a bench vice. The part is available through a Kinetico dealer....mine are all gone. It may prove more worthwhile to get a four-(or more)gallon tank and revert it to a simpler design, eliminating three of those hoses. I have seen 20-gallon tanks working fantastically.

To convert the unit, plug ports 1,2, and 3 on the manifold behind the membrane and simply connect the feed, drain, and tanks lines to their respective locations. Multiple tanks can be added, also. This is what I recommend/do for my customers.

Andy Christensen

I went to the Kinetico dealer today to get a modulator. Instead they offered me a repair kit (at no charge). It had a pilot piston, for signal on top and servo piston on bottom of valve. Since I had to take it off the bladder to get to the bottom I decided to check the bladder and to my surprise it had a tiny hole. Service man at dealership said that might have been the whole problem. Bladder was only $30. Works great now.
    If I had seen your post before I left this morning I might have tried a different tank, so I will keep that in mind if I have any more problems with this one.

Thanks Andy!

Glad that worked out. Sounds like your dealer is treating you well. let me know how it goes.

nevadaborn is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andy CWS View Post
    Well, I take that back a little. Yes, it is the whole cap not just the screws. It would take an over-sized wrench (special) or very large channel locks. I have seen it turned upside down on a bench vice. The part is available through a Kinetico dealer....mine are all gone. It may prove more worthwhile to get a four-(or more)gallon tank and revert it to a simpler design, eliminating three of those hoses. I have seen 20-gallon tanks working fantastically.

To convert the unit, plug ports 1,2, and 3 on the manifold behind the membrane and simply connect the feed, drain, and tanks lines to their respective locations. Multiple tanks can be added, also. This is what I recommend/do for my customers.

Andy Christensen
    my kinetico ro filter is draining all the time and not making much water the dealer thinks I need that valve on top of the tank but they want $130 for it and I took the old one apart and don't see anything wrong with it so I was trying to convert to an air bladder tank you said to plug 1,2,3 behind the membrain then where do the feed, and tank lines go, I am guessing that the drain line goes to the drain. is it the tank line that is filered water comming out or is it the feed line.