Thread: Problems, What kind of Filter...? Please help.

OscarNav is offline Junior Member

Default Problems, What kind of Filter...? Please help.

Hi there, i was wondering if someone can help me with a problem on a Reverse Osmosis system. Lately, i have been hearing the overflow that goes from the filter housing to the P trap constantly running. One thing i should mention is that i have NEVER replaced the filters. It has a Pre and Post filter. Can someone suggest or think of the problem with my overflow.

About the only thing i was able to find was a sticker that read DIME WATER on the filter housing and a Stamped AMTEK on the filter housing (the screw off bottom part). No numbers or brands on the filters themselves. Can these filters be found at HOME DEPOT or LOWES, or are they a special order item in general..? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

~Oscar

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

The concentrate water should flow to the P-trap as the membrane is producing the permeate water. This is the primary function of what makes a membrane different than a "filter". This concentrate water serves a function to maintain the membrane by washing away the solids it is separating from the water.

When the tank is full, all modern ROs have an automatic shut-off valve to stop the water from constantly going down the drain. Many shut-offs are pressure sensitive. This purpose of this is to save water.

It sounds like your shut-off is malfunctioning. Yours maybe be replaced but first determine if that is the problem.

Now for the spanking. ROs are very effective ways of vastly improving your drinking water, but maintenance MUST be done to assure proper production and longevity of the system. When you change your filters (pre- and post-), sanitize the housing with a little bleach. This won't guarantee that the unit is completely sanitized (or disinfected) but it is a step in the right direction.

Use quality filters for replacements. There are excellent ceramic filters that filter down to 0.5 microns as a prefilter. These are reusable and last a long time. Most typical pre-filters are around 5 microns. Post filters should be a high quality carbon block. There are even in-line filters that can be added to the system for additional filtration.

After this is done, check to see if it is still running at the drain. If so, further maintenace or replacements may be needed. In some cases, a whole new RO unit may best be served to provide your household the quality you should demand.

Keep up on filter changes!!!

Andy Christensen, CWS

OscarNav is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andy CWS
    The concentrate water should flow to the P-trap as the membrane is producing the permeate water. This is the primary function of what makes a membrane different than a "filter". This concentrate water serves a function to maintain the membrane by washing away the solids it is separating from the water.

When the tank is full, all modern ROs have an automatic shut-off valve to stop the water from constantly going down the drain. Many shut-offs are pressure sensitive. This purpose of this is to save water.

It sounds like your shut-off is malfunctioning. Yours maybe be replaced but first determine if that is the problem.

Now for the spanking. ROs are very effective ways of vastly improving your drinking water, but maintenance MUST be done to assure proper production and longevity of the system. When you change your filters (pre- and post-), sanitize the housing with a little bleach. This won't guarantee that the unit is completely sanitized (or disinfected) but it is a step in the right direction.

Use quality filters for replacements. There are excellent ceramic filters that filter down to 0.5 microns as a prefilter. These are reusable and last a long time. Most typical pre-filters are around 5 microns. Post filters should be a high quality carbon block. There are even in-line filters that can be added to the system for additional filtration.

After this is done, check to see if it is still running at the drain. If so, further maintenace or replacements may be needed. In some cases, a whole new RO unit may best be served to provide your household the quality you should demand.

Keep up on filter changes!!!

Andy Christensen, CWS
    Where are these shut offs usually located...? In the tank..? I ended up buying the filters from HOME DEPOT. The guy also sold me a membrane, not sure if it'll work though. I have NEVER replaced these filters in this system. 8 years in this house and they have NOT been replaced. I hope i can find a fix soon, i haven't had drinking water in my home, at least from the faucet. Thanks.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

The shut off is usually an intigrated part of the system and not for manual use or operation. I am not familar with your particular unit so it is difficult to determine the exact cause.

I am glad you realize that doing regualr maintenance is essential for good results and long usage. It may be time to replace the whole unit and start fresh. Since most people consider their drinking water very important, take pains to make sure the equipment you buy is of high quality and maintain it.

Andy Christensen, CWS