Thread: RO Tank not draining

Girevik is offline Junior Member

Default RO Tank not draining

Hello everyone,

We have an RO system, and the tank isn't draining. When we run the water is stops when there is still a lot of water in the tank. I've tried putting more air into the tank, and that helps a little bit but there is still a LOT of water in there that isn't being used. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix this?

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

You could have a ruptured bladder. The air-portion of the system is filling up with water and the little air you are putting into it does little good. Is the tank a steel tank or plastic? Weighjt the tank. At around 8lbs per gallon (plus tank weight) you can estimate how much water is in it. A 3-gallon tank should have around 1.0 - 1.2 gallons of water or about 1/3 full.

Andy Christensen

pawaterguy is offline Senior Member

I second Andys statement. Sounds like a bad bladder. Get a new RO tank, sanitize it and you're up and running again. Check the PSI. Generally, around 8PSI will do the trick...but check when it's empty before pressurizing and filling it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy CWS View Post
    You could have a ruptured bladder. The air-portion of the system is filling up with water and the little air you are putting into it does little good. Is the tank a steel tank or plastic? Weighjt the tank. At around 8lbs per gallon (plus tank weight) you can estimate how much water is in it. A 3-gallon tank should have around 1.0 - 1.2 gallons of water or about 1/3 full.

Andy Christensen
    It's a plastic tank. Can I get a new one at someplace like Lowes or Home Depot, or do I need to go to someplace more specialized.

Before you buy a tank, try adding a little air to it, first. Disconnect and empty the tank. Add 7-10 psi to the tank and reconnect. Let the RO refill the tank (a few hours) and see if that solves the problem. Be sure to get an accurate, low pressure gauge.

Andy Christensen

Quote Originally Posted by Andy CWS View Post
    Before you buy a tank, try adding a little air to it, first. Disconnect and empty the tank. Add 7-10 psi to the tank and reconnect. Let the RO refill the tank (a few hours) and see if that solves the problem. Be sure to get an accurate, low pressure gauge.

Andy Christensen
    I went to do as you suggest, and the tank is deffinately shot. When I try to put air in I can see the rip in the bladder. Maybe I tried to overfill it another time I put air in. Looks like I'm in the market for a new tank.

Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by pawaterguy View Post
    I Get a new RO tank, sanitize it and you're up and running again.
    I've got a new tank ordered and on the way. What is the best way to sanitize it?

It is hard to sanitize the tank alone without some housing for the chemical injection. Instead, sanitize the entire unit.
    http://www.filtersfast.com/Aqua-Flo-RO-Manual.pdf

Ok, I'm (still) confused. I took the connector off the old tank and put it on this one, but at first when I turn the water on, it leaks out from around the hose. It now no longer does that, but there doesn't feel like there is any water getting into the tank. When I pull the hose out, though, there is deffinately water running.

It seem like there is a seal over the tank inlet....I can't just thread a hose down through. My old tank wasn't like that and I'm wondering if the water is just backing up in the tube. Is this normal, or have I don't something wrong? If it matters, this is the tank I got: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details