No water in my pressure tank
I just replaced my automatic shut off valve thinking the old one was stuck and not letting water in my tank. The new one made no change. It is a 5 stage Reverse Osmosis system. I have had it about 3 years now. Up until a few days ago I thought it was a GE, but GE parts tells me its not. I bought it new with 3 years of filters, the filters are all marked GE. So I cant tell you what kind it is. I have no model number of this unit. It has been turned off for about a year. I removed all filters, put my bleach solution in as my manual says to do. when I came to the part to open the pressure tank to let the solution go into the pressure tank, nothing went in. My manual says the empty tank needs 7 PSI, that is what it reads.
Other problem that it has and has always had is the noise in the drain, also that its spitting out the sink drain. this is not just a little drain sound, its almost constant. I am starting to wonder if the water that is supposed to be going in the tank is going to the drain. I have ordered another drain flo controller, thinking that the one I have is not controlling the drain well enough.
Any ideas will be apreciated!
Tired of buying tons of water to carry home!
We are on well water
Explain step by step how you sanitized it and how much bleach you used.
How Im Sanitizing the system
I took out the 3 filters on the bottom canisters dumped the water and cleaned them with soap and water, I took out the membranes filter and closed that back up, I filled a container with one gallon of water, and one tsp. bleach. I added one cup of this bleach solution to each of the bottom 3 canisters and reconnected them. the old inline filter for taste and odor was left on, didn't want to run bleach through a new one. I opened the valve on the pressure tank and turned on the water at the cold water pipe. I opened the water faucet till water came out and then closed it. Allowed it to run 5 mins, then turned off the water at the cold water pipe, waited 30 mins.
This was following the directions in my manual the next step it said to drain the system. I opened the faucet, got very little water, maybe 2 cups. I didn't think to measure it at the time.
During the time it was on I heard lots of water going in my sink drain, and had lots of water splash out the drain. I stopped with my instructions at this time.
It told me to put the new filters in and I didn't want to put them in till I was sure it was running OK. I lifted the tank to see if it was heavy with water, it wasn't any different then before could lift with one hand.
So I left it running over night about 6 hours, it was making noise all night, sounded like an open faucet right to the drain. In the morning I turned it off, lifted the pressure tank and there was no change in the weight.
I touched the drain line and it felt like a full stream of water flowing through while it was running.
Just in case this info would help: we are on well water, have a water softener, have a whole house filter outside at the well, and a separate charcoal filter. the water goes through this before coming in the house.
Last edited by SRQFL2; 04-19-2012 at 08:44 PM.
It sounds like you did it right. I was afraid you left the membrane in and used too much bleach, which would have swollen the membrane up so much that it would not let water through. Boy, there must be something else that is not making it work. Sorry.
tonight we took the drain tube out,blocked the end so it cant drain, system is on,we hear sound, waiting the 4 hours now to see if that puts water in the tank.
I took the inline drain flow off and turned the system on and saw how fast the water was pouring out, so decided to block it.
I took the inline drain flow off and can blow through both ends no problem, not sure if that's normal or not. My new one will be here in 5 days.
Hope that fixes the problem
thanks for the help
Just to update my last post...
the pressure tank is now full, we know this because we un clamped the drain hose and nothing came out, the automatic shut off valve has shut off the system. I think it is the drain flow switch that failed us. I will update again after the new one gets here and is installed, and let you know if this fixed this particular problem.
This is an update to my problem. I received the flow control and installed it on my RO system, there was just as much noise as before going down the drain. I was ready to turn it all off again and went to throw away the box that my membrane came in. I noticed a small plastic bag stuck at the bottom of the box. In it was a small blue hose insert and a tiny screen. The directions were not easy to understand so I got online to see what this was. I ended up putting it at the waste side of my membrane exit. My RO system has no noise now.