Thread: Water Cooler conversion to bottleless

activematrix is offline Junior Member

Lightbulb Water Cooler conversion to bottleless

Hi all,
    I have a question that I can't seem to find an answer to. I have a 6 stage RO filter with the mineral filter, and I love it. Before that I had poland springs, and the RO water tastes WAY better! I do miss the water cooler, however, and I recently picked up a Primo water cooler, the kind where the bottle is stored under the cooler, and water is pumped into the cooler tank as needed. The pump uses the same 1/4" hose as my water filter, and I am wondering... Can I run a water line directly into the water cooler? I know it is designed for the water in the pipe to be under vacuum, and not pressure, so would that make it leak, or cause any other issues? Has anyone heard of someone replacing the pump in the cooler with a solenoid of the same voltage, in order to do this? Or could I just let the air pressure out of my RO filter's storage tank and use the pump to draw it out?

Thanks a million for any thoughts/experience

Chris

Korymcn is offline Member

I don't have any experiences with this, but my best guess would be that it would cause a leak and perhaps some other issues.

Alex is offline Senior Member

Hi Chris,

The RO units are designed to automatically shut off. When the tank is full and there is enough back pressure, it will turns the water off.

If you were to run the system without the tank, it would constantly run and you would hear water running down the drain 24/7.

You may just be able to use the current setup and current RO tank and run the water line to the spigot on the cooler.

You could also use a fitting to split the connection from the RO tank to go to your faucet and the cooler spigot.

VernaLee is offline Junior Member

I guess it will give you a big problem if you run the system without the tank. Yes, a connection is a must if this is what you want to happen. And I think you need to get some actual help from those who really knows these things. I mean, those who experienced the same issue like you had.

Wendy is offline Junior Member

A tank is an essential for RO systems. I don't have similar problems as yours. However, I don't recommend to do that. If there is a leaking problem, looking for ways to solve it.