Thread: How to bulid a RO system

anfield is offline Junior Member

Default How to bulid a RO system

Hi! I was wondering if anyone can guide me to build a RO system without a tank for home use. I am planning to use Omnipure inline filter and Filmtec membrane. What others accessories do I need? Thank you.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

A few of questions:

Why is not having a tank important?
    What do you want to use the water for and how many gallons per day are you expecting?
    What is your in-line pressure?
    What equipment will precede the RO?
    What are your water quality test results?

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

anfield is offline Junior Member

I use water quite a lot and need direct access. Can't get any water quality any result. In Malaysia we don't have things to really test our water quality and can't obtain what is add to our water from the Water Works. (They won't let you have the information). So the only way is to filter out everything and maybe add a alkalizer filter like bio stones to make the ph higher. Can a RO system be built without a tank? Thanks

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Understanding the source water quality is paramount for the right RO application.

Since membrane technology is very effective at removing total dissolved solids, if the solids ppm is too high or contains solids that membranes don't like (hydrophobic solids), then the membrane will be over tasked and will fail.

I am still wondering why you don't want a tank. Is it the lack of space? Membranes produce water so slowly that you need a retention tank for the volume needed, when needed. Without a tank, your membranes are going to have to be enormous and that is very expensive!

Merlin, by GE, makes an RO that produces about 1/2 gallon per minute without a tank. This may serve your needs, but you still didn't say how much water you need per hour/day.

I have no idea what 'bio stones" are. Sounds like an oxymoron.

I am not sure I can help you without more information as to what you expect your water to do for you and how you are going to use it. Just saying you need a lot of water is too vague and doens't help.

Water test kits are available on line. Check for hardness, iron, TDS, pH and Chlorine to begin with.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II