Thread: Q about Brine

littlegoldwoman is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Q about Brine

We just bought this RO system

with the UV light.

Right now it will only hook up in the bathroom. I have to buy an attachment to attach it to our sink because we have a weird faucet in there.

The part you screw into the faucet has a place for what they call "brine" water. My husband is going nuts over this water just going down the drain and he is driving me nuts trying to get it out of the sink and find uses for it.

Is this even safe? I mean, isnt it just the concentrated crap? Will it kill our pets? The grass? How do I convince him to leave it alone and let it go down the drain??
    Last edited by rscardigno; 04-23-2008 at 08:19 AM.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Can you describe your source water condition? Have you had it tested? Is it well water/city water? Do you have a softener?

The "brine" should be called concentrate. That is the water used in RO systems that washes away the dissolved solids that do not pass through the membrane. This is essential to maintaining the integrity of the membrane; without it it, the membrane would clog and patriculates would 'calcify' on the membrane rendering it useless in a short time.

Since your RO has no holding tank, the membrane has no automatic shut off. So the concentrate runs continuously down the drain. Normally, I don't call concentrate a 'waste' since it has a definite and important function. But in your case it can be called waste water since it runs continuoulsly.

Also, I have no idea how it can claim the numbers it does. Those RO membrane production rates are laboratory ratings at 77 degree F and 60 psi. Now your pressure may be around 60 psi but very few water is at 77 degrees. Most likely your water is at 55 degress or about 13 degree C.

That means your production rate would be around 12 to 15 gallons per day. Their claim is around 40 gallons per day (at typical temperatures) and that higher than normal rate is likely because there is no back pressure from bladders found in holding tanks. But even at 40 gpd that gives you 0.027 gallons per minute: READ--very slow flow for immediate draw.

If the draw is faster than that, then the membrane is allowing more than typical dissolved solids through.

The 'brine' can be shifted to alternative uses but with that set up, it would be difficult.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Default hmm ok

Well I totally appreciate you answer but unfortunately I have no idea what it means.

I just want to know if its safe to use the runoff or brine water to water the plants or animals or should we just let it go down the drain?

We dont have a water softener and other than that i dont know anything about our tap except that it tastes bad.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

My apologies for the verbage.

Yes, the water would be fine for plants. You could guide it into to five-gallon jug and monitor it make sure it doesn't overflow. The water will only contain what it originally had but in a more concentrated form.

nNnetheless, you should still have your water tested. You can buy a TDS (total dissolvesd solids) meter to check the production quality,and therefore, the membrane life.

Andy Christensen

Default Tds

It actually came with one of those but again. I dont understand what it all means. I read the paper and did what it said to test the before and after water and it fell within the percentage it said it should so I was like...ok.

If I tell you the numbers of the tap water can you tell me anything about it. It jsut has numbers. Its nothing fancy.

The five gallon thing is a good idea. It will keep him from going in and out with a bowl fifity times when im trying to fill the water jugs. lol