Thread: Kinetico Help

brianmonty is offline Junior Member

Default Kinetico Help

I just moved into a house with a Kinetico RO system.

I was unable to find any model numbers or other identifies, the system has a blue tank with 3 filters (I assume these are filters) the center one is black and the the two outside are blue.

I have two questions.
    1. How do I tell if the filters need to be changed, and how do I find which filters to use as replacements?

2. When I hooked up the water line to my refrigerator the water trickled out of the dispenser, taking about 5 minutes to fill a glass with water. As a temporary fix, I hooked up the refrigerator to the water supply line and put a clamp on the line from the RO system. I would like to use the RO water through the water dispenser if possible.

The water from the faucet seems to be running ok, not great pressure but I don't know what is really expected.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

You have a very old model of the Kinetico ROs. There have been numerous upgrades since then. The Model should be the K RO+.

The filters are metered and shut off at five-hundred gallons. Filters (on the left and right) would be changed at that time. But since you have inherited it, I would change them anyway. You need to contact a Kinetico dealer. The carbon filter has a metering device in it.

The membrane (middle cartridge) is unique to the industry--even today--in that it has an automatic membrane flushing system. They were warrantied upto seven years (ten years today) and should still have a 90% rejection rate. If not, get it changed too. Get a TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) meter to determine that.

The tank was the old steel, air bladder style. Kinetico now makes a WOW (water on water) tank which uses household pressure, instead of a static air bladder charge, to drive the water. Much better pressure and twice the vilume. You can upgrade your model with this tank.

The K5 Model is amazing and it gives 1/2 per minute flow and 40+ gallon per day priduction. It is also adaptable to water conditions with nine different filter cartridges including a viral/bacterial cartridge.

Anyway, get it serviced and enjoy better water.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II
    Last edited by Andy CWS; 07-05-2008 at 08:44 AM.