Thread: RainSoft 9596 RO, filter order

dwestall is offline Junior Member

Default RainSoft 9596 RO, filter order

I have the RainSoft 9596 RO 4 stage system that came with our new home. I am attempting to replace all 4 filters. The manual I have (http://www.rainsoftofhouston.com/manuals/9596_N.pdf) has a diagram on pg 3 that shows the filters in the following order:

From water line >> carbon prefilter >> sediment filter >> RO membrane >> carbon post filter >> to storage tank

When I removed the old filters, the sediment filter was first in line, then the carbon prefilter, which is reversed from what the manual says. I figured the previous home owner just put them in wrong. But, now I'm not so sure because I've seen another diagram on the internet that shows the sediment filter goes before the carbon prefilter (http://www.waterfiltersonline.com/installation-diagram-4-5-stg.asp).

Which way is the right way?

Thanks,
    David

Roxanne is offline Senior Member

Default answer

In most systems the sediment filter comes before the carbon, the reason is that the sediment filter will capture the large particles that might clog up the carbon filters or membranes. Hope that helps.
    Roxanne Crawford
    FiltersFast
    www.filtersfast.com
    866-438-3458

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Carbon filters are first only on city-water models. But even then if you have a sediment filter AND a carbon filter before the membrane, I would still put the sediment filter first.

Occasionally city water lines are jeopardized or maintained that allows turbid water to come through the lines. The sediment filter will prevent most of that from affecting the system and damaging the carbon filter.

Moreover, those filters housing should be sanitized during each filter change. I am surprised that Rainsoft actually recommends "flushing" the system 1-2 times each week! That is quite a procedure and I am sure most owners don't follow those recommendations. I wonder what happens if this is not done.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

dwestall is offline Junior Member

I spoke to RainSoft support and they said to install according to the manual (sediment filter before carbon filter). He said they used to instruct installing the carbon filter first, but they've since reversed....not sure why.

As for flushing the system 1-2 times per week, that's not gonna happen for me. It's just too much work. I do mine every 3 months based on usage and because we have a water softner system so I figure that prevents the need fo flusing so often.

David

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by dwestall
    I spoke to RainSoft support and they said to install according to the manual (sediment filter before carbon filter). He said they used to instruct installing the carbon filter first, but they've since reversed....not sure why.
    David
    I thought that was a little strange. I am glad you found out the right way. Now, what micron rating are you using for the sediment filter and what type of carbon filter are you using? Sometimes that makes a big difference.

FastFilter members can give you all the info needed and have a large stock.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II