Thread: Mineral Filter for Existing RO System?

dyue is offline Junior Member

Default Mineral Filter for Existing RO System?

I'd like to add a post-mineral filter to my existing RO system (Watts brand). Do I need to buy an entire new system or can I add just that single component? Thanks!

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

These mineral filters are available. Can you tell me more of your motivation in doing this? What other water treatmetn equipment do you have? What are your water conditions?

Andy Chsistensen, CWS-II

dyue is offline Junior Member

Thanks, Andy. Which ones are available through Filters Fast? The main reason I want to add a post-mineral filter to the RO is for taste. I'm hoping that the mineral filter will make the RO water taste better.

Our water supply is municipal but primarily comes from well water. It is hard and has a high iron/sulfur content. We had a traditional water softener and RO system installed earlier. The water softener broke and we replaced it with a Pelikan (sp?) whole house filter & "softener" (it's not salt-based and so technically not a softener). We kept the RO system since it was in place already.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

I am not sure about this web site, so i will let one of the moderators come on and make a suggestion. This is some infoprmation that might be helpful...

http://www.omnipure.com/data_sheets/K/K2551_CC.pdf

Adding mineral filters has become a more common desire with RO users. Kinetico's new K5 RO has a mineral filter in its optional filter placements. This places both calcium and magnesium back into the water at slow rate. Should last around 500 gallons.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?...um=4&ct=title#

Becareful, that Pelican system (you're right--it's not a softener) will not improve your water well enough and your RO membrane will be damaged far faster that if you had soft water going to it. Get a TDS meter and monitor your water quality.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II
    Last edited by Andy CWS; 01-01-2009 at 03:15 PM.