Thread: Issues with Watts 5SV RO System

Jack is offline Junior Member

Question Issues with Watts 5SV RO System

I have a Watts 5sv system installed. It worked great. When the water quality decreased, I replaced all of the canister filters, the RO membrane, and the final inline filter.

My water quality is poor now.

Tap water is 165ppm, The post filter water is now 135 ppm. Previously my quality was < 3ppm.

My RO filter is firmly seated. Is it possible I'm getting blow by somewhere.

Is it possible for the shut off switch to wear out and leak waste water into the filtered water?

Do some RO filters arrive DOA?

I'd appreciate any ideas.

Thanks, Jack

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Make sure the tank is completely emptied from the last filter use. Make sure the final carbon filter has released all of its fines, which new GAC filters release. This may take a few tank fulls.

Calibrate you TDS meter.

Andy

Thx Andy,

As part of redoing the system. I emptied the storage tanks and refilled and emptied 3 times after changing out all of the filters.

DI water is testing at 0. My tap water has consistently been in the 160-170 range since first testing about 2 year ago.

Thx

Strange! Maybe there IS some blow-by past the membrane. I don't think the membrane can be put in backwards. Did you get the exact parts recommended for that RO or some aftermarket filters and membrane. Even with cheap filters, your memebrane should reduce TDS down with 90%+ rejection, which it is not doing.

Uhm? Have to think more on this one.

Andy

Thx Andy,

I ordered direct from Watts online. I took the recommend membrane. It did match the picture of the correct one from the Web Site.

The membrane housing is a pretty simple architecture. Everything is seated tight.

I'm going to try taking a water sample directly after the membrane before tanks and the down line filter.

At least it is mounted in the basement with very easy access.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Barkri12
    Five Stage reverse Osmosis System

Watts Premier's 5 stage system using state of the art technology. The 5 stage system will produce up to 24 Gallon Per Day with its high production membrane and comes with a 3 gallon storage tank. This system is easy to install and inexpensive to maintain.

R.O. system takes about 24 hours before it produces 1st gallon of filtrated water. Therefore, tank will not be pressurized for at least one day. Moreover, for each 1 gallon of filtrated water, R.O system uses about 10 gallons of water. That's the "steady flow" of water you see going down the drain.

Some say, R.O. is inefficient system because of just that. Wait till tomorrow and your system will than function properly.

I'm a little confused with you explanations: are you in favor or against RO systems?

What kind of RO takes 24 hours to fill a tank and what changes in the system occur where that doesn't happen always and thereafter. What kind of RO has a concentrate of 10:1 to permeate? That would be extremely inefficient. And what makes the WATT's Premier membrane a "high output" membrane? Is there a special feature that does this like a pump?

I was just puzzled by your statements on RO technology.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

marc lee is offline Junior Member

Default Problems with 5SV

Jack,

Did you figure out the source of your problem? I too have a system that was working fine for a few months, and then suddenly had a bad odor/taste. I replaced filters but the bad odor/taste came right back. I am going to replace all filters and the membrane and sterilize lines using hydrogen peroxide as suggested.

If that doesn't work I am prepared to be very dissapointed because of course they ain't giving away the filters and the membrane.

Marc Lee