Thread: Model PVHCL water filter

Steves501s is offline Junior Member

Default Model PVHCL water filter

My recently purchased boat has a model PVHCL water filter in the bilge for the entire vessel. This is a fairly large power vessel (51 ft). The filter system filters the water carried aboard in aluminum tanks, approx. 200 gal. Which of the cartridges would you recommend? Do you consider this system adequate? Because of the aluminum tanks, I do not add chlorine to them. Thanks for the assistance, Steve

rscardigno is offline Administrator

Default Pvhcl - S1?

Can you tell me the dimensions of the current filter? Is it around 10 inches long by 2 7/8 in diamater? If so you can use any standard small filter and we can pcik on that will be good for your application.

Thanks for responding, I think that is about the correct size. I'm not at the boat, so I can't say for sure. I have the installation instructions with me. It says it will take a model S1, C1, P5 or GAC-10 cartridge. The C1 looks like it will give out the most GPM, but do you consider that sufficient filtering? Thanks again, Steve

rscardigno is offline Administrator

Post What are you trying to filter out?

If you are trying to filter out taste and odor, you should go for a carbon filter. For sediment, you do not need a carbon filter. All of the filters you listed would work fine, but the one that is best for your needs depends on what you would like to fir your water. That being said, 3m recently launched new RV and marine filters that are very good systems. You can take a look at the entire product line at http://www.filtersfast.com/3m-RV-Marine-Filters-cat.asp. Their top system has many benefits that you will not find with any of the filters you listed such as

Benefits of the WV-B3:
    • Minimizes Concerns regarding biological contamination while improving the taste, smell & clarity of your water
    • Connects to Your Existing Faucet or the Main Line on your Recreational Vehicle or Boat
    • Saves On Cost and Storage of Bottled Water
    • Sanitary Quick Change Design
    • Easy Installation (20-30 Minutes)
    WVB3 Specifications:
    • Reduces Bacteria up to 99.99%
    • Reduces Algae up to 99.99 %
    • Reduces Parasitic Protozoan Cysts up to 99.99%
    • Reduces Mold Spores up to 99.99%
    • Reduces Chlorine >95%
    • Reduces Sediment, Dirt, Rust, Sand, Silt down to 0.2 Micron
    • Patented Dual-Zone Nylon Membrane Bacteria Barrier
    • Patented Carbon Block for Improved Absorption
    • 1/2" Connections
    • 3.5 GPM Flow Rate
    • 15,000 Gallon Filter Capacity
    • 15 7/8" x 3 1/4" x 4"

Thanks for the great information. I will look into that system, it sounds like the way to go. Steve