Thread: Waste water from Filter system

Watersaver is offline Junior Member

Default Waste water from Filter system

I noticed that a lot of water is wasted by the under sink filter system. I wonder if anyone has redirected this water through the wall and into the garden for instance.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

It is not a common but yet fairly simple thing to do...You are talking about reverse osmosis, right?

Simply re-route the drain line to whatever location you feel will be safe and benficial. Keep it from being submersed (leave an air gap) and collect or distribute the concentrate water.

It can be used for plants, pets, storage for utilitiy purposes, etc.

Andy Christensen

Watersaver is offline Junior Member

Default Waste water from Filter system-rerouting

Thank you very much Andy. I am going to try that. With all the talk about conservation I can't believe so many of us are throwing out gallons of water every day. I wonder why there isn't more done about this by the water filter people. At least they could offer ideas.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

WATTS makes one with a high pressure pump that sends it back to a water heater.

I think you are using revers osmosis system and its common in those systems that waste water is coming out in large amounts.Many of my clients have arranged to store the waste water and reuse it in garden or any other use.I strongly prefer to save water and i think this is the best way for that.

WaterFiltersPetersburg

pete c is offline Junior Member

I just installed an under the sink filter. Forget the model, but, it's from sears and has 3 filters, carbon, R/O and what appears to me to be just a second carbon filter. I believe it was labeled "polishing" or "finishing". I am at work, so I can't check it.

Anyway, I know it does waste water, but, not sure how much. How dirty is it, exactly? How much is there? Was thinking of plumbing it to a 5 gallon container in the basement for plant watering.

Is this water still potable, if not the best tasting? The reason I ask, is it could provide a convenient emergency supply for when power is lost.

pete c is offline Junior Member

I found the manual. I have a 625.384720.

Don't see any info on quantity of waste water.